Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Second hand dslr for 11 year old?

Real Name
    Glen

Second hand dslr for 11 year old?

Hi,
    My 11 year old son has shown an interest in photography. A couple of weeks ago, I lent him an old film SLR I have and he had a great time with it (and is pleased with the results).

I'm thinking of getting him a dslr, but obviously don't want to spend too much on what may be a temporary passion!

I have a canon 500d, so I guess it makes sense to look for a Canon for lens compatibility.

My question(s) are: Are the older (sub £150) dslr's worth getting - any major drawbacks of the older ones? Any recommendations on particular models to look out for (or avoid), and is there anywhere apart from ebay that is worth looking at buying from (in the UK)?

Cheers
    Glen

Re: Second hand dslr for 11 year old?

When seeing questions like this I normally suggest getting something from the 00D range, like a 20D for example, but I wonder if they may prove a bit large and heavy for an 11 year old. But this probably depends on the size of his hands and general strength.

In which case I think that a 350D, or something similar, would work fine.

Don't worry about the slight drawbacks like smaller viewing screen or lower number of pixels. A lot of excellent photographs have been taken on this 'older kit' which was top of the range only a few years ago.

You could have a look at some of the reputable UK camera shops which sell secondhand equipment, such as London Camera Exchange, and see if they have any older kit which has been taken in part exchange.

Alternatively, are there any camera clubs in your area? A lot of photographers have older equipment lying around because they simply have never bothered to sell these lower value items.

Real Name
    Bill S

Another thought - and I say this not knowing what your budget might be - is to upgrade your camera body... maybe to the 50D, 60D, or 7D, or even higher and pass down the 500D to your son.

We love spending other people's money here!

- Bill

Real Name
    Richard

Both of the above comments are valid.

I'd definitely go Canon brand for lens interchangeability.

The only models I would not get are the D30, D60 or 10D because they do not support EFS lenses and the original 300D DigiRebel because it has several drawbacks.

Anything from a 350D up in the Rebel category and 20D up in the prosumer cameras would be a good choice. All are capable of taking good pictures. I gave my 350D to my adult son-in-law and he is very happy with the capabilities of the camera. That would probably be the least expensive choice.

Real Name
    Mark

Glen, you have the ideal opportunity to buy yourself a shiny new toy and please your son at the same time......do it, you know you want to

Real Name
    Philip

Real Name
    Glen

As much as i would love to upgrade my camera, I think the divorce would cost me too much

I think the 350d would be the best option for him, the 20d would probably be too big and heavy.

It seems that a 350 body should be under the £150 price target.

Cheers
    Glen

Real Name
    Philip

Real Name
    Glen

and with a pound to spare! I might have a trip over to SRS, they are only 20 miles away from me.

Thanks for the links.

(now if I have to lend one of my lenses, I mght have a reason to buy a new one for myself )

cheers
    Glen

Real Name
    Bronny, who would of guessed :)

Let us know how your son goes. I upgraded from the 350d to the 7d this year and had a few people wanting to buy my 350. I've decided to keep it so that if one of the kids want to have a play, and maybe hope that they don't want to get into it so I don't have to share lens's