Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wacom Intuos4 Medium

Wacom Intuos4 Medium

I have been doing a fair bit of research on the Wacom tablet. I'd really like to do more HDR work and have found that the mouse has its limitations.
    I know many must use this tablet and could comment. Is this a wise investment? Here in Canada, this is going to cost about $450 with taxes in.
    I know this requires some adjustment after years with a mouse but all I have read and heard lead me to believe that, once you master this, few want to go back to the mouse.
    This will be used on an iMac 27" running Lion if that makes any difference.
    I would sure appreciate some input from members of the forum.
    Thanks,
    Ron

Re: Wacom Intuos4 Medium

I have been using a Wacom for years, Ron.

It requires little adjustment since you will be using a stylus—similar to the pencil and pen writing instruments that most people have known since 1st grade.

Than said, I also continue to use the mouse, especially on the road with the laptop.

Viana,
    Thanks for this. I kind of figured the mouse might still come into play when on the road with my laptop. I just wanted to hear what 'real' people are finding. The webinars and YouTube stuff from Wacom makes it sound really great, I wanted to be sure users felt the same way.
    Ron

Real Name
    Mark

Im thinking of get one of these as well but have read lots of stuff about problems with nibs, any comments on that issue please!!

mark

I use the "small" Wacom with my laptop. Works very well for small detail work. I have had no problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Im thinking of get one of these as well but have read lots of stuff about problems with nibs, any comments on that issue please!!

mark

That has to do with a rough surface like that of the Bamboo. You can purchase replacement nibs or replace the nib with a plastic line like that from a weed-eater.

I’ve never had any problem with my stylus and have used it for years.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

I've also been using a tablet/pen for years, love it.
    Current tablet is a Graphire (now quite a few years old, 2004 I believe). Still working well, wouldn't want to be without, I vastly prefer it to a mouse for just about every task (but not quite all, just can't name one at this moment).

BTW, if I may ask further questions on tablets.
    Anyone went from the small to the larger versions? From the basic ones (e.g. Bamboo) to the more advanced versions? Pros and cons. Xmas is coming and the wife is asking what to get me.

Ta,
    Graham

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Just to add to the positive comments. I use a Wacom Bamboo for all my photography work. Could not imagine ever again trying to post-process with a mouse. Take a few days to get used to, but then ..............!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I use a Wacom Intuos 4XL -- and you can have it ...

... when you can prise it out of my cold/dead fingers!

Seriously, no issues -- take a while to "get the hang of it", but after that, all is good.

Real Name
    Jack Isham

I have the Intuos 4 Medium (Model PTK-640). It did take some getting used to for me. The one difference is that you have to move the stylus a farther distance than you do a mouse. But once you overcome this minor annoyance, you will love the tablet. So much easier in Photoshop and Lightroom.

Real Name
    John

I use the Intuos 4 Medium and love it. The issue with nips wearing was when they first came out. They shortly changed the material on the surface and that appears to have solved the problem. It won't take long to get used to it.

John

Real Name
    Keith

I am also interested in going to the tablet for editing. I don't want to spend $400 only to find I don't like or cannot take to it, so I was wondering if I purchased a cheaper one i.e Wacom Bamboo Capture Pen & Touch Tablet for $99 that I could learn to use it then if I find I like it then maybe I can upgrade at a later stage would the Wacom Bamboo Capture Pen & Touch Tablet for $99 be worth it, has anybody used this particular model.
    Thanks Keith ..
    Last edited by orilliaman; 10th November 2011 at 07:26 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by orilliaman View Post
    I am also interested in going to the tablet for editing. I don't want to spend $400 only to find I don't like or cannot take to it, so I was wondering if I purchased a cheaper one i.e Wacom Bamboo Capture Pen & Touch Tablet for $99 that I could learn to use it then if I find I like it then maybe I can upgrade at a later stage would the Wacom Bamboo Capture Pen & Touch Tablet for $99 be worth it, has anybody used this particular model.
    Thanks Keith ..
    Keith

I've got the earlier version of this. Now, of course I don't know what I'm missing by not having one of the higher spec models. But, I can't imagine what I'd need that I don't have my on dear old Bamboo. It's the freedom of using the pen as opposed to the cumbersome nature of a mouse (and that is how you will think about a mouse, once you've got used to the Tablet), that changes everything.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by orilliaman View Post
    Thanks Keith ..
    Hi Keith, I bought the Bamboo Pen & Touch and have been very happy with it. I like the smaller size because it fits on my desk easier than a larger one would and haven't seen any situations where I would need anything larger or more expensive. Hope this helps!

Real Name
    Scott Benz

I have the Bamboo for my laptop as well. Love it!

Real Name
    Will

I have played with both one of the Intuos4 line and one of the bamboo tablets. I can say that any tablet is better than none, and the Intuos4 line is better. I can also say it is definately worth the save on money to get the bamboo unless you know that you will be using it all the time for actual drawing, or more like a drawing pad. I can also say that I can't wait untill I can afford one or the other, but a new computer will have to come first.

-Sonic

Real Name
    Keith

Thanks guys...I think I will go for the Bamboo capture and give it a try @ $99 its not much to lose if I don't like it.

Real Name
    Pierre

I just purchased the Intuit 4 Medium tablet, I plan on installing it and using it this week. If you are still not sure, I will let you know how the transition is.
    The mouse was starting to create muscle spasms in my hand during processing. I hope this will end now that I have a tablet.

Real Name
    Mark

Pierre, please let me know how you get on, this item is no my wish list!

mark

Real Name
    Bill S

Pierre,

Can you share some insight into what made you choose the Intuos4 over the Bamboo? My wife is starting to use Adobe Illustrator and wants a tablet for Christmas, so I'm trying to do research.

Plus, if I happen to be able to use her Christmas present for Photoshop, then that's just a bonus, no? Until we're fighting over who's turn it is to use the computer, huh?

- Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast