Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dartmouth UK photo reworked - several times in fact

Dartmouth UK photo reworked - several times in fact

I posted a photo in another forum Dartmouth UK and mentioned that I was uncertain about my edit.

Well after thinking, and taking a print to my local pub for 'constructive criticism' I have had another reworking of it. In fact this is about the sixth attempt to get it correct.

The main problem is the excessive blue sea colour which I find to be a common fault at some angles. Always worse will the sun behind you and filters etc don't help.

Original

My latest reworking

But this will probably be redone as I'm still not sure about it.

My basic changes to editing in this version started with two different exposed Raw files which were converted to Smart Objects then combined after using a bit of selective masking.

Several Adjustment Layers then followed to adjust land, sea and sky differently. And of course, with quite a bit of mask work to selectively apply the effects.

I think this version is better but, as I said, I'm still not sure; particularly with the sea colour and the houses are possibly a bit over bright now.

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Dartmouth UK photo reworked - several times in fact

I dont see anything wrong with the blueness of the water in the first photo. Its not an abnormal color. However, the pic does seem a tad dark overall. You're right, the second one does seem to wash out the buildings and the boats a bit.

Re: Dartmouth UK photo reworked - several times in fact

The problem is that once you brighten that dark water it turns into a very unnatural shade of dark blue.

My best previous corrections have involved using Curves to mostly alter the shadows in the blue channel followed by some RGB general brightness adjustments.

This odd blue tint is something which I find to be a common problem with seascapes/boat shots when the sun is directly behind me. I suppose it must be something to do with a lot of the light being reflected away from my lens.

Today I have been experimenting with a slightly different technique but still using Curves; I just can't seem to get any real success using the Colour Balance adjustment.

The problem with straight forward Curves adjustment is that trying to alter the brightness also effects saturation; and vice versa. So you end up going round in circles.

What I am now experimenting with is two Curves Adjustment Layers. One with the Blend Mode set to Saturation and the other set for Luminosity. So they can each be adjusted independently.

So far, this does appear promising but I am still learning and have reached an age where thinking comes slowly!

I assume some other people are doing something similar all the time, but I haven't read about it yet.