Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Light trails

Real Name
    James

Light trails

2nd of only 4 pictures i have taken with Nikon D50
    C+C welcome, i think a slightly longer exposure might have given me a little more detail in the sky, thoughts please!

Light trails

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Light trails

Quote Originally Posted by JemC View Post
    C+C welcome, i think a slightly longer exposure might have given me a little more detail in the sky, thoughts please!

Light trails
    Hi James, It'd good to see that you are getting out and taking pictures. How would you describe your goal for this image?

Real Name
    James

Hi Frank
    To be honest, my goal was just to see if i could capture some light trails but this picture was better than what i was expecting, however looking at it now on the big screen i can see where i could probably have done even better..
    1,i could have chosen a different spot/better location
    2,i could have taken it a little earlier which would have given me more detail and
    3,i should stop doubting myself

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Frank
    To be honest, my goal was just to see if i could capture some light trails but this picture was better than what i was expecting, however looking at it now on the big screen i can see where i could probably have done even better..
    1,i could have chosen a different spot/better location
    2,i could have taken it a little earlier which would have given me more detail and
    3,i should stop doubting myself
    Hi James, I would say that you achieved your goal admirably. Generally speaking, the more diverse the road, the more intricate the light trails will be. For example, if you can get some height and look down on an intersection you can sometimes capture some very interesting woven patterns. If you want to get more of the background in the image you could experiment with a higher ISO, wider aperture and, of course, longer exposures. Another way to get more background without increasing the exposure is to shoot in a more brightly lit area such as a city at night.

Also, although f22 will give you lots of DoF, the sharpest images are usually about 3 stops down from the smallest aperture so you don't really need to stop all the way down to get good night shots.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your night photography results! Light trails
    Last edited by FrankMi; 25th September 2011 at 12:11 PM.

Real Name
    James

Hi Frank
    Thanks for the kind words and advice,
    Can't wait to go out now and try some of the things you mention, i will certainly be posting the results on here.

Best regards
    James

Real Name
    Paul

James, nice job on getting out there and giving it a go. I think you have a handle on it, now as Frank says ......you will be right on target when you find that perfect location! I myself will be posting my first ever light trail shots in as soon as I finish them up. Just got home from shooting them, and am crossing my fingers.

Real Name
    James

Hi Paul
    Thanks for the comments, it is something that interests me and will hopefully doing some more soon, I can't wait to have a look at the ones you have taken

Real Name
    Paul

They are of some intrest to me as well. Finding new locations and figuring out different ways to capture interesting compositions will be fun.

Mine are posted here...Seattle city lights and their trails

Real Name
    Bobo

Very nice shot.

Light trails
    I like the bend in the trails that lead into nothing.

I've only tried light trails myself twice, but it was good fun. With the nights getting darker I know I'll be out practicing more.

Finding a good place I'd say would help a great deal. If you can get something else in the shot apart from the trails it adds to the shot IMO.

These are from the second time I went out to try.

Light trails

This is from a single car going down and up a dip.

Light trails