Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Abandoned Building; B&W

Real Name
    Al

Abandoned Building; B&W

My latest effort in B&W. This abandoned building has a lot of texture and detail that I wanted to capture. In short, I'm aiming for "grunge" in this image. C&C definitely invited and much appreciated.

Abandoned Building; B&W

Here's the color version (processed, not SOOC):
    Abandoned Building; B&W

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Abandoned Building; B&W

I'm definitely a fan of the B&W image. The worn out narrow door, chunk of plaster
    missing with the lathe showing. Wouldn't call it "grunge", but old school Southwestern
    character....

Real Name
    Bobo

Though I do prefer the B&W, the colour one has an artsy almost watercolour painting feel to it which gives it plenty of appeal.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Why settle for one? This is a great image and works well either way. There is also great potential for a creative edit in both.
    You might also consider cropping out that lovely neutral coloured render, which would make a great texture for future use.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Al,

Definitely better when viewed bigger in the Lytebox, but I find the B&W lacks obvious depth.

The colour one avoids this because the non-complimentary colours draw attention to the curtains and window within.

I probably prefer the colour one for that reason.

I'm amazed an abondoned building still has glass in the window, around here it would probably be smashed or boarded up!

Cheers,

Real Name
    Al

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Definitely appreciated, as I'm currently working to improve my B&W skills. This shot was intended as B&W from the moment I saw the building, but I couldn't resist a color rendition. The upper section of the wall between the door and the window definitely has potential for a texture. I agree the B&W lacks the depth of the color version, but I don't know that much can be done about it... the interior of the building is dark, and the dirt on the door window washes out any chance of recovering any detail there.

@Dave - This was taken in Superior, AZ, a small mining town, just southeast of Phoenix. The mine closed back in the 90s, and Superior is now nearly a modern ghost town. Most of the buildings are boarded up, and only two businesses remain open on Main Street. Frankly, I don't know how the few remaining residents manage to survive, or how much longer they can hang in and try to bring the town back to life. Here's another shot from Main Street; I focused on the flowers in the foreground, as an attempt to express some small amount of hope for the remaining residents.

Abandoned Building; B&W

Real Name
    Philip

Al, with regard to the first photograph -

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Definitely better when viewed bigger in the Lytebox, but I find the B&W lacks obvious depth.
    The colour one avoids this because the non-complimentary colours draw attention to the curtains and window within.
    I probably prefer the colour one for that reason.
    I'm amazed an abondoned building still has glass in the window, around here it would probably be smashed or boarded up!
    The colour one also better shows by the bright colours of the door, walls, curtains and the Moon painting that, whatever their circumstances, those who were there were creative people who enjoyed having colour in their lives. Obviously, this aspect is lost in the b&w conversion.

Both Dave's point about depth, and also this positive message, can be enhanced by increasing contrast and saturation in the colour image.

However, as is always the case, it all depends on the purpose of the photograph.

Philip