Thread: Posting Photo Statistics

Real Name
    Liz

Posting Photo Statistics

Thank you to everyone who posts the information about how they took their pictures. For those of us who are new and trying to learn, it is really helpful to see how you took the photo. I am trying to learn apertures, shutter speeds and ISOs, among other things. It is a teaching moment when I can look at your photo and see how those things worked to make it what it is. It also helps to know what kind of lens you used. So...to all you Photo Jedi Masters out there...use your photos as a teaching moment for us Grasshoppers. Thanks again.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Posting Photo Statistics

I don't know what browser you are using to view the CiC forum. But you will either have included in it, or you can download a plug-in, that will read EXIF data on those images that have the data embedded.

Right click on an image and check to see if you are offered an option to 'View Exif Data', or some similarly worded menu option.

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Liz,
    The image information is there for most of the photos posted here.If you download this:
    http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/
    You can access a lot of the shot information with an EXIF viewer.There are other viewers but Opanda is one that is widely used.

Real Name
    Liz

Thank you both. That is the kind of thing that is very helpful for all of us new folks.

Real Name
    Liz

I generally use Chrome, but which one do you use or recommend. I have them all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I don't know what browser you are using to view the CiC forum. But you will either have included in it, or you can download a plug-in, that will read EXIF data on those images that have the data embedded.

Right click on an image and check to see if you are offered an option to 'View Exif Data', or some similarly worded menu option.

Real Name
    George Montgomery

Liz,

I use chrome (our oldest son works for Google on the chrome team ), and I've installed EXIF Viewer. It seems to work very well.

Real Name
    Ken

The Canon G10 comes with Zoombrowser for PC, aqnd imagebrowser for Mac. If you install it on your computer, when you open the directory of images you will see properties on the top of the page. Click on an image and properties and it will show all the information that you want. However if you open the file in Viewer, then you will not be able to see properties

Real Name
    Liz

Thank you George...I installed it...very simple...and it works perfectly. Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by georgem View Post
    Liz,

I use chrome (our oldest son works for Google on the chrome team ), and I've installed EXIF Viewer. It seems to work very well.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ken MT View Post
    The Canon G10 comes with Zoombrowser for PC, aqnd imagebrowser for Mac. If you install it on your computer, when you open the directory of images you will see properties on the top of the page. Click on an image and properties and it will show all the information that you want. However if you open the file in Viewer, then you will not be able to see properties
    Hi Ken,

That's the second time in two days that I seen mention of Canon's Zoombrowser (Spooky!).

Is it any good and will it work with any images (including Nikon's)?

Maybe because I came out of using a 35mm SLR for years, I really have no interest in the specifics of a shot.
    Every photo 'experience' is going to be different. Even if you were to attempt to reproduce someone's photo
    the odds of you matching the exact conditions (and hence, their particular camera/lens data) would be considerable.

Seeing which lens and at what aperture and shutter speed were used is kind of like asking a painter what brand of paint and size brushes he/she used. It's not really going to extend your abilities; the best you can do is to learn and understand YOUR camera.

Real Name
    Liz

Working on it Jack...working on it. I'm a pretty rank amateur, so there's a lot to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    Maybe because I came out of using a 35mm SLR for years, I really have no interest in the specifics of a shot.
    Every photo 'experience' is going to be different. Even if you were to attempt to reproduce someone's photo
    the odds of you matching the exact conditions (and hence, their particular camera/lens data) would be considerable.

Seeing which lens and at what aperture and shutter speed were used is kind of like asking a painter what brand of paint and size brushes he/she used. It's not really going to extend your abilities; the best you can do is to learn and understand YOUR camera.