Thread: What is the best lens for golf course actions?

Real Name
    Ronny Geenen

What is the best lens for golf course actions?

I do often pictures for a Real Estate office, add the shots to their website, and the golfers can look at and have also the option to download.
    A good marketing tool. The broker only ask me to sit at one of the holes
    I work with Canon and carries 24-105mm and the 70-200mm, both IS.

Real Name
    John

Re: What is the best lens for golf course actions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    I do often pictures for a Real Estate office, add the shots to their website, and the golfers can look at and have also the option to download.
    A good marketing tool. The broker only ask me to sit at one of the holes
    I work with Canon and carries 24-105mm and the 70-200mm, both IS.
    This is a trick question right? Action on a golf course.

Seriously, the real action is the posed golfer just before or the moment after they tee off or sink the putt.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Ronny,

Either lens should be fine.

If you want to capture a bit of movement in a swing, then I'd just experiment with shutterspeeds. Some of the best moments might come after sinking a put though ...

What is the best lens for golf course actions?

Real Name
    Ronny Geenen

Thank for the comments. Again I have never been on a golf course. Being from Europe I am a soccer guy, but also love speed skating, bike racing and auto ralleys. I might have to concentrate at the moment of swing or just after and also when there is a put.
    Setting the camera at auto sport shoot is what I have to use. Do you agree?

Real Name
    Mark

If you are hoping to take photos of a ball coming off a driver head then your normal sports mode will be useless. It will freeze (if you get lucky) the golfer and not the clubhead and ball. Ideally you need a camera that shoots 8 frames or more a second. There is such a long lag between depressing the shutter button and taking the photo (relative to the speed of the clubhead) that you invariably miss the exact spot in the swing you want to freeze. So its really a matter of luck exactly where you freeze the action. My 1D iv, at 10 frames a second, might only capture 3 images in a swing. You need to get used to the exact moment at which you need to start shooting so you get the ball in the image exactly where you want it. You will need a shutter speed of at least 1000th and even higher to freeze the ball. This means you need a pretty quick lens, preferably f2.8. I can tell you that taking a photo of a golf ball at impact is really difficult to do. More often than not, it's hit and miss.

If you're looking to shoot golfers putting or at the end of a swing, then you are just taking photos of people and pretty much any good camera and lens combo will give you a half decent shot.