Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Histograms

Histograms

Wishing to understand the world of histograms, underexposure and overexposure, etc. and learning to compensate with my Nikon D3000 on how to reach a happy medium to achive the Bell Curve for all my photos.
    To get the just right photo, I've been reading up on Histograms and have come up with a trival question.
    Correcting overexposure I came across a statement, "most of the pixels tend toward the highlight (H) side, with pixels touching the right edge. In program AE Mode, dial in a negative exposure compensation in -1/3EV steps. well dial in -1EV since it had a +1EV to force overexposure."
    Does this AE Mode pertain to another camera rather than my Nikon D3000?

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: Histograms

Quote Originally Posted by Emory View Post
    Wishing to understand the world of histograms, underexposure and overexposure, etc. and learning to compensate with my Nikon D3000 on how to reach a happy medium to achive the Bell Curve for all my photos.
    Ummm... it's a rare photo that's going to give you a perfect bell-shaped curve in the histogram. I'd recommend reading this article on understanding histograms. Histograms merely describe the image you took, and whether or not it's bell-shaped or on the right or left side or has a gap in the middle may actually not be an issue, depending on what you want to emphasize in the image, and what the image is.

....Does this AE Mode pertain to another camera rather than my Nikon D3000?
    Nope. AE = autoexposure, and is not camera-model specific. All this is basically saying is that your camera's automatic exposure system may be wrong because it's mechanically setting the exposure, and it can't figure out what's important in your picture the way you can.

Real Name
    Steve

A perfect bell shaped or normal distribution, is normally boring.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Emory View Post
    Did you see this? Leaf And this Photography video tutorials

The links provided by Inkista and Rob was what I've been looking for, thanks. The Leaf thread has pointed me in the right direction towards assisting me to get a grip on the Histograms.
    Thank you all again.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Hernando,

A couple more links that you might learn a lot from ...

Histograms

What is the best method for learning how to expose photos correctly?