Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Old Outhouses

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The Old Outhouses

Another one from my recent weekend away

ps - The strip of light sky under the dark cloud did curve round the top of the old wall, just like it is seen. It's not a 'trick' of pp.

The Old Outhouses
    40D, EF-S 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM @ 20mm. ISO 400. 1/20@f8.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: The Old Outhouses

I like the composition but would like to see a slightly darker entry from the lower right diagonal. This might be a case where a little vignetting on the bottom would help, as I find my eye stuck on that diagonal and the triangles it creates to the right and left - moreso to the right... hope you don't mind the edit, but something along these lines...

The Old Outhouses

Great mood and presence again Donald. This is a good example of composition for Shannon;

• The wall in the lower right of the frame intersects with the corner of the frame
    • The extreme end of the outhouse meets the R/H frame dead centre
    • The extreme L/H of the roof makes a beeline for the L/H upper third line

Altogether a beautifully balanced image.

Last time I was in Scotland this kind of property was hitting the 4 star rating for accommodation. Actually I am lying we stayed at a lodge right on the shore of Loch Lommond. Queen sized beds you needed a step ladder to mount, acres of porcelain tiled and stainless steel bathroom extravagance and stunning views across the Loch. I think I prefer the outhouses for mood though

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you gentlemen.

Vignettes are not something that's normally in the top drawer of the tool kit. I have used them a couple of times in the past and, now that I'm using Silver Efex Pro, the options are much greater and more flexible in creative terms. But it is something I tend to shy away from through choice. Maybe need to build thinking about the possibility, into the workflow.

Steve the sort of description you give of where you stayed puts one in mind of something like Cameron House. If it was, then you are earning far too much money and should be giving some of it to me! That room at the back, underneath the tree, did me fine for the weekend (actually, I've got my back leaning against the wall of the cottage that we were staying in).

Real Name
    Dante Apolinar

love you work Donald....

Real Name
    Chris

I just did a layer mask using soft light instead of overlay and toasted the bottom in a slight curve to mimic the sky a bit. You can tell nby the number of images I've vignetted, how much I like that process...