Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Kind of a neat shot, of planes, and this bird appeared...

Real Name
    Shannon

Kind of a neat shot, of planes, and this bird appeared...

So composition wise and technically this probably is just an "ok" picture. I do think it is kind of neat though for anyone that likes planes... It was my first time trying to shoot a high speed object tonight... it was kind of fun.

Kind of a neat shot, of planes, and this bird appeared...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Kind of a neat shot, of planes, and this bird appeared...

Clever. I suspect that opportunity for such a juxtaposition between nature and technology doesn't appear very often. Well captured.

A very hard shot technically - you've got lots of white stuff around AND a very bright sun. So, it was always going to be difficult to stop it blowing out.

Now, once you do start shooting Raw ......

But remember, even the best post-processor in the world can't recover detail that's not there. So, when you get either complete black at one of the spectrum or complete white at the other, then it's gone and ain't going to come back!

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Clever. I suspect that opportunity for such a juxtaposition between nature and technology doesn't appear very often. Well captured.

A very hard shot technically - you've got lots of white stuff around AND a very bright sun. So, it was always going to be difficult to stop it blowing out.

Now, once you do start shooting Raw ......

But remember, even the best post-processor in the world can't recover detail that's not there. So, when you get either complete black at one of the spectrum or complete white at the other, then it's gone and ain't going to come back!
    That always happens when shooting cityscapes but usually not so clearly. Usually it's a slash of color across the setting sun that you can't explain how it got there.

Now it needs a caption.

'New secret weapon - Giant Gulls'

I had something similar a couple of years ago when shooting an air display at my local regatta.

Real Name
    Shannon

Thanks Donald, I think it was just a "lucky" shot... the seagull just flew into it, I wish I had a lens that zoomed in more it would have been neat to see it all a bit closer.. I am going to try shooting in RAW later today and all day tomorrow. Thanks for the tips about not being able to recover the colour if it's completely over or under exposed.. I don't know much about processing so I would have thought it would be able to get it back so that is a good tip.
    Geoff.. I like your caption..lol, It is kind of neat to see a bird there with the planes. I actually had a lot of fun trying to photograph the planes I think I might go to some air shows. You should post your picture if you still have it, I would like to see it.

Just one thing to remember about planes, Shannon.

A shutter speed above 1/250 approx will 'freeze' the propellors of anything which isn't a jet. And too low a speed risks camera shake.

Real Name
    Shannon

Thanks Geoff, writing your tip down in my Forum notebook, to keep all these great tips and advice handy.