Jim

My German Shepherd

Harvey

My German Shepherd

Real Name
    Jim

Re: My German Shepherd

My German Shepherd
    Last edited by GlasgowJim; 16th May 2011 at 07:30 PM.

I love, love, love this photo!

Real Name
    Jim

ty Frankie...I'm just finding my feet having only had my camera since Sept last year

Real Name
    Marie-Josee

what a beautiful dog !!! Great shot...I really love it.!!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowJim View Post
    My German Shepherd
    Jim

As the others have said - gorgeous dog.

I don't know how much you are into post-processing yet, or if that's something still on the 'to learn more' list.

The histogram on this one shows everything packed up against the left-hand side; i.e. there's not a broad tonal range to give it contrast.

I hope you don't mind, but I did a very quick edit using levels and curves tools in the GIMP (the software package I use). Maybe this is not the sort of shot you wanted at all, but it does illustrate the sort of thing that can be achieved.

My German Shepherd

Real Name
    Jim

ty Donald ,that looks much better......i really don't have a clue about post processing

I start to read about it and i get lost in jargon,I'm trying to get myself onto a course but not much available here and the ones that are ,are vastly overpriced.
    I got bought for me a Nikon D3000 and i have an 18-55 and a 70-300 lenses.Any advice on what i could be using my camera to it's best abilities would be welcomed

Real Name
    Jim

some more of my boy..

My German Shepherd

My German Shepherd

My German Shepherd

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Any advice on what i could be using my camera to it's best abilities would be welcomed
    Jim

I would say get out there and shoot lots and lots of everything and anything. That's the way you'll build up experience of using the camera and getting used to it and both the lenses. And remember, apart from the cost of the electricity to re-charge the battery, it doesn't cost you any more to shoot 10,000 than it does 100.

And if you can nail such things as exposure and begin to understand and apply theories of composition (the post-processing can come along later) through that practice, with the help of things like the tutorials on here, then you'll take several large steps forward.

And you will go through the great feelings of frustration, when it seems as if it's easy for everyone else and you're the only person in the world who doesn't get it. You will. Almost subconsciously, you will begin to appreciate that you know more than you used to and you're doing things you didn't know how to do just not so long ago.

Real Name
    Jim

thank you Donald,thats exactly what i have been doing....click...click...click and i love the fact that when i get home i transfer onto my laptop and my camera is good to go again.Got a new laptop and lost this forum (i forgot all about the fact i had joined) until i got an email reminding me i hadn't posted in a while.I still haven't found what i like shooting the best but i'm guessing that will come with time.I love the tutorials on here and i'm glad i've found CiC again
    Any advice will be read and listened to.

Real Name
    Yvonne

Beautiful puppy! And Harvey looks like he's very patient with your camera experimenting.

Work a little more on focusing on the eyes though. Most of them are just a little soft on the eyes. Whether it be animals or humans, that is one of the keys to a good image.

Real Name
    Jim

TY Yvonne ,looking at them now i see exactly what your talking about....For those with more experience,what is the best way for me to get the eyes sharper?? Is it to do with what setting i have my camera on?? Reading thru the forums and looking at loads of great photos has really made my hunger to get better shots grow

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowJim View Post
    TY Yvonne ,looking at them now i see exactly what your talking about....For those with more experience,what is the best way for me to get the eyes sharper?? Is it to do with what setting i have my camera on?? Reading thru the forums and looking at loads of great photos has really made my hunger to get better shots grow
    Hi Jim,

Yes that may well have something to do with it. I'm not familiar with the exact details of the D3000, but I do have the bigger brother (or sister) D5000. You want to select a single focus point, place that exactly on the eye - which shouldn't be difficult with a co-operative subject

Start by using the centre focus point, it'll be what is known as a 'cross type', which just means it can focus on horizontal or vertical edges - twice as much chance of success than with one of the others, which only focus on lines crossing them in one direction.

Using the single focus point mode and central point should give you a better chance of success.

As others have said, just keep at it.

Good luck and, if I haven't said it before to you; welcome to the CiC forums from ....

Real Name
    Jim

Thanks Dave for the welcome and the advice....I've learned more on here in the last week than i have in the last few months

Real Name
    Shannon

I love these pictures. I love German Sheppards! Wish I could reach out and pet him.. Good job!