Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: No Time for Chess

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

No Time for Chess

I went to the Children's Museum today with my wife and son. It is in the North Side of Pittsburgh that is now considered a bad part of town. I took these two right outside. I was amazed at the fact that these structures are for the most part abandoned. I can only imagine how beautiful that fountain was and what a relaxing place it could have been to play chess.

No Time for Chess

No Time for Chess

These were my first attempt with my wide angle lens (Sigma 10-20) corrected in CS5.
    Last edited by KTHXBAI; 16th May 2011 at 01:06 AM.

Real Name
    james

Re: No Time for Chess

I like image two, although I can feel the abandonement , in a spooky way.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Excellent social documentaries.

On #2 , the brickwork right at the bottom is interesting, but I wonder if it acts as a distraction, pulling our eye down to the bottom and away from the fountain and the building behind. It's maybe quite a powerful additional pattern that's competing with the other powerful patters that are the fountain and the building.

What do you think about cropping it at the bottom, just at the point where the brickwork goes out of frame on the right hand side?

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Excellent social documentaries.

On #2 , the brickwork right at the bottom is interesting, but I wonder if it acts as a distraction, pulling our eye down to the bottom and away from the fountain and the building behind. It's maybe quite a powerful additional pattern that's competing with the other powerful patters that are the fountain and the building.

What do you think about cropping it at the bottom, just at the point where the brickwork goes out of frame on the right hand side?
    Thank you that is a very good point. I noticed the brick work also and I didn't even realize it was a distraction though it clearly took my eyes off the fountain.

Real Name
    Bill S

Nice shots Mike. I wonder how those places are during the week. Perhaps if the rain ever stops, I'll wander over during lunch and see.

- Bill

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Nice shots Mike. I wonder how those places are during the week. Perhaps if the rain ever stops, I'll wander over during lunch and see.

- Bill
    Thanks Bill, I actually thought the rain added something to these shots! It looks like the office building is being used. But the fountain has seen better days. At first I thought it was a round theatre.