Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fallen Tree

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Fallen Tree

I'm getting far too old for all this nonsense of scrabbling about in rivers, trying to walk in the river on slippery rocks and not drop the tripod and the camera, sitting on wet stone and getting all one's, ... er um, bits ...and everything else soaking wet. Effectively sitting in flowing water. And then it starts raining! And then you get home and realise what an absolutely wonderful few hours you've had.

Fallen Tree
    40D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8 @ 16mm. ISO100. 1/8 @f16.

ps - Best viewed in lightbox
    Last edited by Donald; 8th May 2011 at 08:47 PM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Fallen Tree

That is some big fallen tree, Donald. I love the conversion you did. Awesome work.

Real Name
    Yvonne

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    And then it starts raining! And then you get home and realise what an absolutely wonderful few hours you've had.
    Like I recently said in another thread. "the ache will go away with a little linament rub, but the image will be with you a lot longer"

Nice shot, glad you're still scrabbling around in the wet.

I think this is beautiful, Donald. It's so simple but there's so much to see. There are so many different surfaces and patterns and textures. Very pleasant! (and, it definitely looks better in the lightbox. BTW, someone....how is "lightbox" spelled, please?) Anyway, it sounds like a wonderful day - feel alive, eh?

Real Name
    Paul

Very nice Donald. It may seem trite.....but the first thing I noticed in it that I like, is the water is flowing away from you. Very rarely if ever do you see this in photographs and I had honestly not given it a thought until I saw your work here. Well done.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Very nice Donald. It may seem trite.....but the first thing I noticed in it that I like is the water is flowing away from you. Very rarely if ever do you see this in photographs and I had honestly not given it a thought until I saw your work here. Well done.
    Thank you for the comments above.

Paul - You're right. This was one of my concerns about even trying to make this image. I was at this location yesterday afternoon and took a number of frames. None of them were up to the mark and after rain this morning I decided to go back. But I was concerned about the idea of making an image with the water flowing away from me. I've never read that there's a 'rule' that says that water should be coming towards you or flowing past you at right angles, but it just seems sort-of right, rather than having it flow away from you.

So, I decided to try and it. I've made this. I'm quite pleased with it. But I still think water should be coming towards you. I don't know why I think that.

Real Name
    Paul

I have never seen nor heard of such a rule but it does certainly seem to be the way it is always done. I think in most shots it is what works best, although I have not given much thought as to why. I know I will now purposely look for the opportunity to make a shot that works {as yours does} with the water flowing away from me. I think it could be interesting to see what works and what does not, and the analyze why. I think you have started something....at least for me.

Well,.... when you look upstream,...generally....usually, you're looking "up" (even subtly) to the water cascading...towards you... you know....you can see it better..... Am I being a silly and stating the absolute "duh"?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Well,.... when you look upstream,...generally....usually, you're looking "up" (even subtly) to the water cascading...towards you... you know....you can see it better..... Am I being a silly and stating the absolute "duh"?
    No. It's as good an explanation as I've heard (given that I've never heard any other explanation before!!). But the way we think about this one must be informed by some sort of psychologically-based explanation such as this.
    Last edited by Donald; 8th May 2011 at 08:09 PM.

Real Name
    Paul

Katy, I get what you are saying and it is right on the money!
    Having said that. Could it not be all in how you look at things, there are times I look downstream, honestly more often as the flow of things in the water and water itself is leading me somewhere. Asthetically it may not be as pleasing, but if we always then turn around to shoot back up stream and never try how do we know what can be achieved. Sometimes I enjoy and think it is good to go against the grain....and in this case it would be going with the flow. I can't wait to put it to the test as I think it will be quite difficult to make it work as Donald has done.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Sometimes I enjoy and think it is good to go against the grain....and in this case it would be going with the flow. I can't wait to put it to the test as I think it will be quite difficult to make it work as Donald has done.
    hee hee. I'm not saying what to do, though. Just mentioning why I usually wind up facing upstream.

Thanks, Guys, for not snorting at me! PhEeeeew!