Real Name
    Tripp

Getting "Artsy"

Hi to all! Stepping in one toe at a time...yes, we did drink the wine....r3

Getting "Artsy"

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Getting "Artsy"

Hey Tripp, I get artsy too if I drink that much wine. DOF looks good but it is a little over exposed. It could use a slight rotation as well. These corks can be a fun subject, play with them a bit.....different compositions and such, good excuse to drink more wine.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Tripp

I agree with Paul re the over-exposure. Wine is my other hobby (I keep wondering why I ended up with two such expensive hobbies!). There are certainly many, many photographic opportunities available from a 'wine-related' photo project.

Real Name
    Tripp

Thanks for the feedback, Paul and Donald. I appreciate all the help I can get....so when you say the photo is a bit over-exposed; I need to lighten it up? I'm just learning to use the software (Canon's Professional Digital...whatever). Paul, what do you mean, "...could use a slight rotation?"

Again thanks for the help... I'm on the road alot (now)...when I get back home I'll try some of your suggestions and see what happens. Yes...more wine will help expand my cork-photography horizons....I understand why your dog has a Binky...he's been licking your corks....

r3

Real Name
    Paul

Tripp, actually just the opposite. It is overexposed......exposed to too much light {I.E. blown out}. The really bright areas that are so exposed that they have lost detail may be too far gone. If you shoot in Raw you could give it a shot but I am thinking you might have to re-shoot this one. Rotation...... In the picture the left end of the cork looks as if it were pointing downhill. If you find the ratate tool {others can guide you to it, I use different programs} you can straighten or level horizons. It is fun learning all of what you can do, you will be amazed. Enjoy.
    Last edited by jeeperman; 3rd May 2011 at 04:27 AM.

Real Name
    Tripp

Hi, all!

Ok, Paul, I think I see what you are talking about with the exposure. I take all of my pictures in the RAW (sounds funny saying that!) and I played around with the brightness and contrast...below is the best I could do; looking at the original colour picture I see that it, also was over exposed. Haven't tried anything with rotation yet (because I haven't figured out how to use it yet...I'm using GIMP)...thanks for the help...well off to open another bottle for a series on corks..........see what you guys have started??

Getting "Artsy"

Hi, Tripp!

Every time that I've seen this thread come through, I think of a photo of corks that I saw last September. It has to be a somewhat good photo if I've remembered it so clearly all this time.

Here's a link to it: Patina Moon

What makes it such a great photo is that she totally got the feel and thought of not just the corks but the mellowness of the wine and the whole atmosphere of what was happening when she drank it (a night of jazz - Stan Getz and Oscar Peterson - happy thoughts!!!). The whole "Patina" of the photo is oak matured.

Real Name
    Tripp

Hi, Katy!!

Good to hear from you again. I agree, she has done a great job with the corks, thank you for sharing! As has been said here, corks are great subjects for still life....also a nice glass of wine, a good strong cigar, and smooth jazz...what a combination (I prefer Herbie Mann and Dave Brubrek (sp?)). See you around the campus!!

r3

Quote Originally Posted by rracioppi View Post
    Hi, Katy!!

Good to hear from you again. I agree, she has done a great job with the corks, thank you for sharing! As has been said here, corks are great subjects for still life....also a nice glass of wine, a good strong cigar, and smooth jazz...what a combination (I prefer Herbie Mann and Dave Brubrek (sp?)). See you around the campus!!

r3
    Absolutely luuuurve Dave Brubeck!