Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cross country

Cross country

Rolex 2011Cross country
    Last edited by Dan Hamby; 5th May 2011 at 02:21 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Cross country

Dan

That's a very good capture of horse and rider in action. And good on you for posting up for comment. It's one of the best ways of learning.

On this one, I think that Fence 18A left fore-ground, really doesn't do the image any favours. When I first opened it, my reaction was that it was two images stuck together. If you follow the line created by the right-hand edge of the fence, then the edge of the flag attached to it, and then the right hand edge of the tree that comes out the top of the flag, you've cut the image in two with a very powerful line top to bottom. That line really does divide the image into two, it so powerful a part of the frame.

If this was one you wanted to keep because of some personal connection with the horse or the rider, I would crop it just down the right hand edge of the flag on the fence. I know that would bring the head of the horse very close up to the edge of the frame and we should be thinking of the horse moving into the frame, as you have done. But I think it would make a better image, just because of the intrusion of that fence.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Dan

You are very welcome.

If you are going to have the opportunity to do this type of shoot again, you might want to have a look at some of Thierry's stuff for ideas about how to get powerfol shots.

You can see some of his shots here, here, here and here. There are others that you can search out, but these will hopefully give you some ideas.

If you do try a crop along the lines of Willie's suggestion, I would also consider a 'balancing' crop from the right side. Maybe just include the horse's rear end but lose some of the tail.

Possibly changing the scene from landscape orientation to portrait at a 4 x 5 ratio might work and concentrate more on the rider. I'm not totally sure, just a thought.

Cross country