Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sewerby Hall & Gardens

Real Name
    Robin

Sewerby Hall & Gardens

Fantastic country estate with a beautiful house, a fun-for-the-kids animal park and some of the best walled gardens I've visited.

I'll post some of the other attractions later but thought I'd start with selection of flower shots I took.

I tried to shoot with a common theme in mind, going for a shallow DoF and a strong colour content.

Sewerby Hall & Gardens

Sewerby Hall & Gardens

Sewerby Hall & Gardens

Sewerby Hall & Gardens

Sewerby Hall & Gardens

All shot with the AF-S 70-300mm. Left the camera on auto ISO and program as I was mainly out with the family and didn't have time to fiddle, it's a great way to shoot without worrying about settings knowing my choice of focus points and lens length will give the image I want.

Auto ISO is a fantastic tool. You set the base ISO then the lowest shutter speed you want the camera to drop to before it starts hiking the ISO up then just let it do the rest. The D300s is safe to about 1600iso so I can wander inside and out without a worry letting the camera sort the basics and the VR in the lens looking after and camera shake when the conditions get a bit wayward.

Re: Sewerby Hall & Gardens

Wow these are some amazing pictures. I really like the last one how that one bush jus stands out from the other two, and your depth of field is nice.

The use of depth of field in your photographs is very apparent, and I like the way you've used it in the pictures. The flowers themselves are beautiful, and the colors are bright in the photographs, which I really enjoy. Overall, I love the pictures.

Real Name
    John

The third and fifth just aren't interesting enough to warrant the depth of field but the clarity of the shrubbery is excellent. I would just fill the screen with those instead of using DOF. The fourth photos sort of suffers from the same in that the greenery takes center stage, I would have used a deeper DOF and brought out the orange colors in the background. Good stuff.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

All super, but I particularly like the composition of the last one.