Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Batch Processing Query

Batch Processing Query

I need to convert around 250 images to Adobe RGB and also to 300 dpi. The images are currently Max quality jpeg, 240 dpi and sRGB.

Any suggestions on best way to do this will be much appreciated.

Also, which settings do I need to set camera/software to ensure all future images fit this criterior.

(I have Canon 500D and Elements 8.)

Regards
    John
    Last edited by John B Walker; 24th April 2011 at 09:04 PM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Batch Processing Query

Hi John,

Usually when people ask either of these two questions they're trying to do something for the wrong reasons (eg 300dpi is normally what they've been told they need for printing, and changing to a wider gamut from a narrower one once the image has been captured is generally pointless - it's a bit like getting a bigger container to pour liquid into after what you poured into a first smaller container has already overflowed and the excess run down the drain) (Adobe RGB is pretty much universally unsupported by off-the-street photo "labs").

So may I be so bold as to ask for a bit more info on what you're trying to accomplish?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi John,

Usually when people ask either of these two questions they're trying to do something for the wrong reasons (eg 300dpi is normally what they've been told they need for printing, and changing to a wider gamut from a narrower one once the image has been captured is generally pointless - it's a bit like getting a bigger container to pour liquid into after what you poured into a first smaller container has already overflowed and the excess run down the drain) (Adobe RGB is pretty much universally unsupported by off-the-street photo "labs").

So may I be so bold as to ask for a bit more info on what you're trying to accomplish?
    Hi Colin and thanks for your reply.

I supply images to the Alamy colour library where I have been quite successful. They prefer Adobe colourspace but no stated preference on dpi.

I am about to contribute to a second photo library (PhotoLibra) to expand my sales possibilities and their requirements appear quite specific. Adobe colourspace and 300 dpi. Most but not all of my images are Adobe and are all 240 dpi (I don't know why they are 240 as I've never intentionally set anything to this - must have been a previous default setting somewhere).

FotoLibra give directions on running a batch command in Photoshop to convert images to their requirement of 300 dpi but I can't find if it's possible to batch change images from sRGB to Adobe.

I was hoping to do a batch command that would convert all my images to the requirement of FotoLibra which will be stored in a separate directory.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards
    John

Real Name
    Bobo

The first thing you would want to do is set the camera to capture to Adobe RGB so that all future pic are using the right colour space for your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    The first thing you would want to do is set the camera to capture to Adobe RGB so that all future pic are using the right colour space for your needs.
    Thanks Bobobird,

Camera set to Adobe colour space but I have some earlier shots that were sRGB. I'm still not sure where to set the default on Elements to ensure 300 dpi though.

Cheers
    John