Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: osprey All cc welcomed

Real Name
    james

osprey All cc welcomed

osprey  All cc welcomedosprey  All cc welcomedosprey  All cc welcomed1st image 400 mm tv 1/4000 av 5.6 iso 800 2nd400 mm tv 1/4000 av 8.0 iso 800 3rd tv1/2500 av 8.0 iso 800

Real Name
    Paul

Re: osprey All cc welcomed

James, I like these shots. I do see a bit of noise and some softness, but all in all they are enjoyed.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

James.

I agree with Paul. Good stuff.

The second one, in particular, is soft. It is also the one most badly affected by noise and you'd need to do selective sharpening to avoid emphasising all that noise in the sky.

I appreciate that you wanted to get a high shutter speed for the 'in flight' shots, but wonder if you needed to go as high as ISO800 in order to get that. I'm no wildlife photographer, but wonder if you needed to get to 1/4000th and 1/2500th for these. You could maybe have got them at a lower shutter speed that would have allowed you to reduce the ISO setting.

Yes, as Donald said, the shot which needed a reasonably fast shutter speed was the last one; which has worked well at 1/2500.

Which lens? Flying birds are never easy, even with the best of equipment.

However, you have achieved good exposure on these shots which were into the light. I suspect that a little extra careful selective sharpening to the birds and not the sky may well be worth trying.

Real Name
    james

The lens is a EF 400 mm 5.6L USM. I got tired of the mirror lens I was using . I wanted a 300 IS L , but I found a guy who wanted my four wheeler so I traded for the 400 L. Now with a little help from everyone I will learn how to use it.Ok lesson one lower ISO >less noise. Thanks guys I will post some more birds in next couple days. Thanks again.