Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Finally Real Spring?

Real Name
    Rachel

Finally Real Spring?

we've had a couple of seemingly false starts to spring around here, but yesterday was bright enough to pull me out of this little funk... with loads of bright blooms. I'm usually pretty bad at capturing flowers, but I spent some time and got a few shots yesterday that I like, this is one... C&C is always welcome
    Finally Real Spring?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Finally Real Spring?

Quote Originally Posted by vicphotog View Post
    I'm usually pretty bad at capturing flowers,
    Well, you got it right this time. Gorgeous.

What about cropping it at the left on a line that just to right of the two flower-heads that cut the edge of the frame and left of the flower had in front of that background tree? Or even make a square crop from that 'new' left hand edge?

Real Name
    Rachel

thanks Donald, I appreciate the feedback.. and I like the tighter square crop you suggest however, when I do that I find that tree fairly intrusive... good to note for next time try not to get it in the shot at all... anyway, this one is at a slightly different angle, cropped a bit tighter than the first, a bit of a better composition?
    Finally Real Spring?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by vicphotog View Post
    cropped a bit tighter than the first, a bit of a better composition?
    Yes, but ...!

That sounds very negative. It's not meant to, because you very clearly have 'an eye' for making a good composition. My suggestion on this one is that it would maybe have been better for us to see all of the flower that's cut off at the bottom of the frame, and a small part of its stem.

The skill with something like this one is checking all round the edges of the frame to see what they look like. We tend to concentrate our attention on the main subject which is somewhere in the main body of the frame and we forget to double-check around the edges.

Real Name
    Paul

I am jealous...you look to be having a nicer spring than us. It has snowed {although small amounts} 4 or five days out of the last 10. Your flowers.... Very nice colors ya got there an I like the perspective, nice job Rachel.

Real Name
    Bill S

I agree with both of Donald's critiques. Nice shots though. Great capture of the colors.

If it ever stops raining here, I should be able to get out and get some flower shots of my own.

- Bill

Real Name
    Rachel

Thanks Donald, that is a very good point, especially for me with the flowers, I do tend to pay little attention to the whole frame.. one more thing thats part of learning, which is why I love this forum!
    Paul, these flowers were planted in full bloom lol, and if it makes you feel any better (as I had to assure my friend in snowy Calgary) it was really cold outside despite the sun, and I froze getting those shots!
    Bill I hope to see some of your flowers too, if it's raining so much, you should have some wonderful ones when it stops

Rachel, the exposure is spot on but I think it would have made far more impact if shot against the sky. The trees do not help the composition at all. This is always difficult because it is not easy to use the camera when almost buried in the ground and pointing upward. These are the occasions that swivel LCDs were made for.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    This is always difficult because it is not easy to use the camera when almost buried in the ground and pointing upward. These are the occasions that swivel LCDs were made for.
    I've always been a fan of the blind composition as well - shooting without looking through the viewfinder. I takes a great deal of practice and tons of trial and error, but if you work on it, you can get some angles that really stand out because they are different from what you could expect. With digital, it doesn't hurt to try, and if you get keepers from it, then all the better.

- Bill

Real Name
    탬라

The concept of the beginning of spring is always a good choice. I believe your picture seems to capture the essence of spring itself within this picture. The angle is beautiful - reminds me slightly of how someone would be bathing in the sun amongst a garden of flowers Regardless, I think the picture is very beautiful. The blue sky contrasting wonderfully with the playful, and light-colored, flowers. Thank you so much for posting such a wonderful picture; kudos!

Real Name
    Rachel

you make a very good point Steve, and Bill, and I have a swivel LCD so next time I will put it to use... also I was only willing to get down so far since the grass was wet and mucky lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Rachel, the exposure is spot on but I think it would have made far more impact if shot against the sky. The trees do not help the composition at all. This is always difficult because it is not easy to use the camera when almost buried in the ground and pointing upward. These are the occasions that swivel LCDs were made for.

Real Name
    Rachel

Thanks very much, your comments are much appreciated too - all to take into consideration for next time
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimra View Post
    The concept of the beginning of spring is always a good choice. I believe your picture seems to capture the essence of spring itself within this picture. The angle is beautiful - reminds me slightly of how someone would be bathing in the sun amongst a garden of flowers Regardless, I think the picture is very beautiful. The blue sky contrasting wonderfully with the playful, and light-colored, flowers. Thank you so much for posting such a wonderful picture; kudos!