Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Camera purchase advice requested.

Real Name
    Leana

Camera purchase advice requested.

Hi Everyone,

I am an experienced visual artist with serious documentary photography aspirations. I have very little to no technical knowledge, digital or otherwise, but plan to take classes and shoot as much as possible.

Recently, I received a Nikon P100 as a gift and used it for a couple of months. It was fine, given I know so little, but it had a serious problem, so I ended up returning it. Instead of getting the same thing, I want to purchase a camera I can "grow into" as I learn. I don't know enough to understand the majority of reviews and camera comparisons, so I'm asking for your help.

I'm most interested in shooting outdoors, this includes street photography, people and places, but not necessarily portraits, action/movement, landscape/nature and detailed close ups. I'm committed to making a difference for animals with my photography, from taking photographs of homeless pets up for adoption in shelters, to documenting animal rights violations. I also enjoy composing photographs consisting of graphic shapes, negative/positive, repetition/variation etc., much like an abstract painting.

An important consideration for me is camera size and portability. If it's too cumbersome I won't take it with me as often as I'd like. Also, as a single woman traveling and walking around alone, I don't want to be obvious with my equipment. I prefer to spend under $1,000, mostly because I don't know what I'm buying, but I can go higher if necessary. I have been looking at the Nikon P500 and 3100, but I'm open to all ideas.

Thank you!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Camera purchase advice requested.

Leana

My first reaction on reading your post was 'Bridge Cameras'. There are a few makers, but a number of folk on here have one or other from the Panasonic Lumix range. It sounds as if this is exactly what you are after.

Real Name
    Leana

Thanks for your response Donald. I took your advice and researched the bridge group, then a photographer friend suggested a Nikon D3100. After reading several reviews, I went to Calumet to have a look at it. Does anyone have any experience with and/or advice about the Nikon D3100? In other words, buy or don't buy. Thanks!

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by LKabstract View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I am an experienced visual artist with serious documentary photography aspirations. I have very little to no technical knowledge, digital or otherwise, but plan to take classes and shoot as much as possible.

Recently, I received a Nikon P100 as a gift and used it for a couple of months. It was fine, given I know so little, but it had a serious problem, so I ended up returning it.

Thank you!
    Having some experience with the model you owned (I have the P90) I can only assume that you were disatisfied with the amount of noise that appeared in your photos, especially when used indoors. There is also the limited aperture f/8 maximum, and the camera can only shoot fast (f/2.8) at 4.6mm. And then there is the no RAW format supported, so moving up to the next level DSLR will definitely help you if the above issues were your reason for wanting to switch. You can probably get started with the cameras listed but keep in mind that some of the issues above will most likely be solved with a lens other than the kit lens. The 18-55mm is very good at handling the speed you will need but only at f/3.5, if you want anything faster consider a 50mm f/1.8 which you can get very cheap if you are good at manual focusing or there is a AF version that costs about $400.00.