Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: wide angled lens and clouds for c&c please

Real Name
    Ken Outch

wide angled lens and clouds for c&c please

After letting my wide angle, bought on impulse, lens sit on shelf for 6 months because I was not happy with it ( = didn't have the foggiest clue on how to use the damn thing!) I took the advice, did some tutorial reading and decided to have another go with some rent-a-cloud subjects. For your C&C please.
    K

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: wide angled lens and clouds for c&c please

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    After letting my wide angle, bought on impulse, lens sit on shelf for 6 months because I was not happy with it ( = didn't have the foggiest clue on how to use the damn thing!) I took the advice, did some tutorial reading and decided to have another go with some rent-a-cloud subjects. For your C&C please.
    Hi Ken,

I won't comment on the photo, but I can tell you a bit about using WA and UWA lenses ...

Basically - if you point them at the horizon you generally get a pretty boring shot because everything in the distance is very small --- so often the best way to use them for landscape is to pick your scene - adjust the focal length to get the field of view that you want and then move forward and back and up and down to get some foreground object agressively close to the lens (usually so the horizon sits 1/3 down from the top of the frame, and the object is 1/3 up from the bottom, 1/3 in from the side, and big enough to "appear significant" in the viewfinder.

You'll probably be quite shocked at how close you have to get and how much you have to tip the camera forward, but the results are worth it

And here's an iPhone shot of the setup (may not have been the exact shot, but very similar).

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Colin
    Thanks for very helpful technical advice. Much appreciated. Off to try and put it into practice.
    With thanks
    Ken

In the end You did it well..... though......

without gray it looks better