Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Exmoor trees

rob marshall

Exmoor trees

I shot these two on my hiking trip on Exmoor the other week. C&C welcome.

Both shot with the Panasonic G1.

Death in a green lane.
    Exmoor trees

On Dunkerry Beacon
    ON BLACK
    Exmoor trees

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Exmoor trees

Very nice Rob, that second one is my favorite.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Exmoor trees
    Both good - This is brilliant.

I see the hike has not interfered with the ability 'see' a picture and execute it beautifully.

Real Name
    Paul

I really need to start useing the lightbox more regularly. Completely changed my opinion, while I like #2....#1 is fantastic and very dramatic.

Real Name
    Chris

I like both as well, with #1 sparking my interest more...though, would have liked a bit more upward angle on the shot. Maybe the camera lower to the ground to emphasize the curvature of the pathway and give a little more stature to the dying tree (well, dead).
    In the second, the capture of the bent limbs flow nicely with the cloudscape and the slope of the hill...I think Donald was right in his assessment of the walkabout keeping your photographic eye alive.

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    a bit more upward angle on the shot
    Hi Rob, welcome back! I've missed you.

My first thought about #1 was like Chris's, as I was wanting separation between that one limb that still had branches and the vegetation on the right side of path. The more I look at it, though, the more I like the visual triangle it forms, which for me works with the geometry of the tonal contrast in the bottom part of the frame. It works for me on a symbolic level as well.

I also love how I can feel the smoothness of those old, wind-varnished limbs. Nicely done.

Rob, you have captured the place beautifully. Very Lorna Doone. Exmoor is a great place outside tourist season. Wirevixen introduced me to the place. She had relatives living around the Quantocks. Her cousin was married to the farrier for the Quantocks Hunt. She managed to get me on a horse for the first time there. I pictured myself trotting round a sun kissed pasture with the wind streaming through my hair - oh no - it was a stiff gallop across the moor with me hanging on for dear life. I don't think it occurred to her that whilst she had been riding since toddling a lanky northern lad from the backstreets whose riding experience boiled down to a donkey ride on Blackpool Sands may find it somewhat alien. Great way to see the moor though - on the occassions I had my eyes open.

We went to a wedding in Tiverton on one occassion it was quite fun once I got over the shock of all the young men being dressed in 3 star T-shirts, flairs and wellies - I kid you not - and that was 1990.

Rob,
    let me appreciate your pictures for first: are really beautiful!!
    In the #1 I see (in my monitor) some noise in the clouds... or my eyes are tired.. is this noise added or is coming from PP or ISo? perhaps I would like to see it reinforced a bit...

cheers
    Nicola

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    In the #1 I see (in my monitor) some noise in the clouds... or my eyes are tired.. is this noise added or is coming from PP or ISo? perhaps I would like to see it reinforced a bit...
    Nicola

The noise comes from the Silver Efex Pro conversion software. The original shot was quite clear of noise/grain. I think Silver Efex tends to stretch a shot a lot, and the effect, although often quite dramatic, is, as with all things a metter of taste. I find some of the conversion presets in it a bit over the top.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Rob, you have captured the place beautifully. Very Lorna Doone. Exmoor is a great place outside tourist season. Wirevixen introduced me to the place. She had relatives living around the Quantocks. Her cousin was married to the farrier for the Quantocks Hunt. She managed to get me on a horse for the first time there. I pictured myself trotting round a sun kissed pasture with the wind streaming through my hair - oh no - it was a stiff gallop across the moor with me hanging on for dear life. I don't think it occurred to her that whilst she had been riding since toddling a lanky northern lad from the backstreets whose riding experience boiled down to a donkey ride on Blackpool Sands may find it somewhat alien. Great way to see the moor though - on the occassions I had my eyes open.

We went to a wedding in Tiverton on one occassion it was quite fun once I got over the shock of all the young men being dressed in 3 star T-shirts, flairs and wellies - I kid you not - and that was 1990.
    It certainly is a great area. I've been there before as it's only a few hours drive from where I am, but I've always stuck to the coast. This time we explored more of the hinterland, and I have to say it's extremely pretty, and great walking. If any of you non-Brit members are planning a trip to the UK, I can thoroughly recommend the area - as well as West Wales, of course!