Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Does this work?

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Does this work?

Again I'm not sure of something, so I'll let you guys decide. Does this work? Or is it too much. Or too little. I'm extremely undecided on this one. The Mrs loves it but, well, I'm scratching my head!

Cheers in advance, as always!

Does this work?

Re: Does this work?

NO, I mean really NO....you kidding me!!! that...white...stuff...no really no..and I won't even start on the green.....what were you thinking!!!!!

not sure if you are talking about the way you present the pic, or the content of the pic...
    I like the content, and the way you border it...
    maybe in the middle, bc the border is density filter was too bright there, the pic kinda splits over...(basically losing track of the small white border you have there..)

now that I am looking again at it, there is something strange about the very grey/W/B density filter against the color of the pic itself...maybe it is the color of the lettering...
    don't know...(so glad to help here...)

I'll go apply my primer, and will think about it...

Vincent

Works for me
    John

Real Name
    David

Looks good to me, although I might prefer a different frame, perhaps picking up the main colour in the orchid. Also, while I can't be sure from the way different monitors handle things, you seem to have got the subtleties of the white petals very well.

Cheers

David

Just an opinion but I find the border too bright for my taste (I do prefer dark things though). I think neutral border colours are good and like the gradient but would prefer a dark grey (like anthracite or a touch darker) to just below mid grey perhaps. I think it might enhance the white of the orchids too.

As for the pic itself I really like it, and I'm particularly fond of orchids (yeah I'm camp as christmas I know).

For me, it is technically fine. Although I would suggest that your name is a bit smaller, at the moment it seems to be more important than the photo title.

The composition of the flowers, however, looks too cluttered for my tastes. I think that just one or two flowers arranged a bit more artiscally would have worked better.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Thanks guys,

This was taken in the Botanical Gardens in Sri Lanka (just outside of Kande) last year in the Orchid house so was unable to rearrange as Geoff suggests (and I agree!) I think I'll go and play around a bit more in 'shop.

My suggestion would be to read or study the Japanese art of Okebono. The art of displaying flowers is as old as time. One of their deep considerations was the "empty space around the flowers can be just as important as the lovely flowers."

Rob................

Mark, just my opinion but 1. I think the border is killing the shot and 2. with the PP programs you have I think you should be able to extract a bit more detail out of the petals, which to me seem to be a little blown. Looking at the background it might have been one of the times when spot metering could have been the preferred option.
    Apart from that I love the shot, flowers are my second favourite to birds.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

For my taste the frame is "OK", but just a little on the big size. However the lettering bothers me quite a bit - it nothing else, centre the "orchid" lettering vertically - and your name a little smaller.