Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Help

Real Name
    brian

Help

I’ve been using Panasonic tz 7,8 and 10. now my wife bought me a canon eos 60d body but no lens so my question is what should I get to start with while learning about the camera. I take internal property pictures, water sports and Foreign travel any advice welcome.

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: Help

What's your budget for the lens? (also, the currency we're talking about would help).

If you have little money to spend, you could grab a used EF-S 18-55 kit lens (preferably an IS one) for cheap and use that until you know what you want. If you have a lot of money to spend, an EF-S 15-85 IS USM is a very capable walkaround lens for a crop body camera.

Real Name
    brian

Thank-you
    English pound notes.
    Lens budget i don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaphappy View Post
    Thank-you
    English pound notes.
    Lens budget i don't know.
    Can I suggest you at investigate a rough figure? perhaps by simply calling into your local camera shop on the high street to get an idea of the (huge) range of prices lenses cover.

If I had money to burn I could blow several thousand pounds on a couple of outstanding lenses. Unfortunately I've got bills to pay so at the moment my budget is zero so I'm using the 18-55 kit lens that came with the camera. Since I'm still at the learning all about digital stage this isn't a problem.

stuck

Real Name
    Bill S

Snaphappy,

(you might want to put your first name in your profile under 'real name' so we know what to call you... we tend to go on first names here)

Another kit lens would be the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. It'll give you a bit more range while working out the new camera and deciding what lenses would work better for you.

After that, stuck explained the drill - endless options if you have endless budget. Once you start figuring out what needs you have, you can certainly narrow down to more specific lenses.

- Bill

A friend recently purchased a 60D and I suggested that 15-85 lens, which Kathy mentioned, as a good general purpose lens.

So far, my friend is delighted with the lens.