Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Shopping list time! - yep Colin you were right

Real Name
    Kay

Shopping list time! - yep Colin you were right

ok - enough is enough
    I have had enough of the sometimes firing nature of the off camera flash when triggered by the on camera flash...maybe ok for some settings, but not when the direction I want the light to come is not 'seen' by the infrared sensor.

So - A shopping list from Mr Pocket wizard is required....but oh the choices! I am a bit confused and an hoping some nice chap will tell me how to spend my money

I have Canon 7d with 430EX11 speedlight/s

so what versions of transmitter/receivers/ does anyone suggest for me?
    I am not truly completely lazy, I am reading on their site, but if someone already has 'x' version and all works well for them.....I am more than happy to follow along.
    Thankyou in advance

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Shopping list time! - yep Colin you were right

Ha ha - told ya so

It's pretty easy actually - you need a PocketWizard Mini TT1 (for the camera) and a PocketWizard Flex TT5 for each flash. If you want to avoid another "I told you so" later, also get a PocketWizard AC3 zone controller at the same time.

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Ha ha - told ya so

If you want to avoid another "I told you so" later, also get a PocketWizard AC3 zone controller at the same time.
    what and spoil all the fun!

And Thankyou - from my reading it seems the 2 you name are the newer versions and one wouldn't need the Plus 11 or multimax...correct?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    what and spoil all the fun!

And Thankyou - from my reading it seems the 2 you name are the newer versions and one wouldn't need the Plus 11 or multimax...correct?
    Hi Kay,

The Plus II is legendary (I also have 3 of them) - the triggering range is phenominal (I've even heard of them triggering between aircraft!) - but - they're manual only. The TT1 / TT5 don't work past about 50 meters (without "tricks"), but "who cares" - we only need them to work over a few meters. The MultiMax has a few nifty features (like the ability to trigger up to 4 strobes one after the other) (to keep up with high-speed cameras), but they added this feature to the TT1 / TT5 in the last firmware revision update anyway (not that you'll ever use it).

To be honest, the TT1 / TT5 are a bit of a learning curve, but I can get you through it -- and when you do, the power and control is amazing. On the downside, they're not 100% reliable - they don't always fire if the transmitter and receiver are too close - and sometimes they just plain get things wrong, but 98% of the time it's just fine - and the remaining 2% of shots I just "write off" (along with a whole bunch more that I can't blame on the equipment!).

PS: If you want to see what they use MultiMax's for, take a look at this setup (and weep!) ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AuyVz89AXg
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 9th April 2011 at 07:42 AM.

Real Name
    Kay

oh my goodness!!
    both on the clip and you finding it!