Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: In conversation with .......... Steve Webb

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with .......... Steve Webb

©Image, Steve (Wirefox)

Name: Steve Webb (aka Stevewe88)

CiC: Thanks very much for taking the time to talk to us today.

It is a pleasure. I like this series as it really provides an insight into the people on CiC whose work I see regularly and admire.

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history – anything interesting?

I consider this fairly boring compared to others that have taken part before me but I am more than happy to share. I am currently Managing Director of a security company working mainly in London but in other pockets around the south and midlands of England. I provide physical security such as Security Guards and Door Supervisors (Bouncers to most people but we don't like that word in the industry), to a variety of clients from hotels and members clubs to distribution centres and office buildings.

I have been in the security industry for almost 10 years now but I started off my working life in the timber industry working first of all for a sheet materials importer and then latterly for a timber merchant. However after dislocating my knee on a mountain biking outing and a trip in the local air ambulance, the time off work helped me to decide a change of career path into security. Why, oh why, I sometimes ask myself now!!

And what about your family life?

I am married to Zoe my childhood sweetheart (aaahh!) and we have been married for almost 13 years now. I am very proud of our 18 year relationship as many of my old school friends seem to be on their second or third marriage attempt already.

After a few years of enjoying life, mostly enjoying it far too much, we were blessed with our twin boys in 2007. Lewis and Joshua. They are cracking little boys (I suppose I would say that especially today as they stayed at Nanny's house last night), but it is getting to the stage where there can't be any secrets any longer. For example-Mummy says: "Hello boys, did you have a nice time at the park with daddy?", Boys Reply: "Yes it was great and then we went to the camera shop and daddy bought.........."

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

I have two types of book I enjoy, autobiographies and historical fiction especially anything about the crusades or knights templar. My favourite meal would be anything from the barbeque really. I love the summertime (when we get one in the UK), and we rarely cook in the house from spring right through to autumn. There is something far more relaxing about coming home when I can get home in the light, play with the kids in the garden for an hour whilst cooking a barbeque and having a beer. It makes the days seem much longer.

EDITOR'S PICK #1

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

I have always enjoyed fishing but since the kids came along I haven't managed a single day but I have high hopes for at least one of them being interested in a couple of years time. I used to do a lot of martial arts but my knee injury stopped most of that unfortunately.

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

I have always liked photography since I had my first camera, a Halina 110 aged about 12. I then progressed to an Olympus OM10 SLR and really enjoyed using that through my teens. However, I then discovered a far more expensive hobby that involved visiting pubs on a regular basis and giving my money to the landlord instead of spending it on film and developing. Serious photography therefore took a back seat for quite a few years until around 2007 when I re-discovered it and bought an EOS 10D.

It is hard to say what got me interested in photography to begin with but I suspect a big part of my enjoyment was the anticipation of having to wait a week for my prints to come back from the developer. The anticipation was usually followed by bitter disappointment on the realisation that what I was trying to achieve hadn't even remotely worked. I guess that is now what I love about digital photography, the fact that I can try all manner of different things and see instantly if they have worked and at least stand half a chance of getting the shot I visualised.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

I am interested in all types of photography and the more I learn about different styles and techniques, the bigger appreciation I have for people who master them.

I do not discriminate, I photograph anything and everything. I am however drawn to certain aspects more than others.

I have always been interested in portraiture and this has more recently developed into strobist techniques and using the lighting more creatively outdoors. This, as usual, has given me the perfect excuse to spend more money on a second speedlite, wireless triggers, gels, etc, etc, etc.

As a family we use the photography as a reason to visit new places and see different things every weekend if we can. In fact our holidays are now booked around a desire to photograph a certain place. This year for example, people keep saying to me, "Oh that's nice Steve taking your boys to Florida to see Mickey Mouse", when actually the reason we are going there is because I want to photograph 7 mile bridge!

Mostly I just want to take images and create something that I am proud of and if I am very lucky, something that others can enjoy too.

Any particular photographic influences?

I wouldn't say I have any particular influences but I do seek knowledge from wherever I can get it. Scott Kelby is someone I greatly admire because for all his success in the training and photoshop world, he still goes out on a weekly basis to shoot his local football team and from what I can tell thoroughly enjoys it. Surely this has to be the aim of anyone wanting to pay their bills with photography, because the moment it becomes just a job, it has lost what attracted you in the first place.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

For my family, I want to record our journey through life together for the benefit of all our memories.
    For me, I want to have fun with my photography.
    For the world in general, not a lot, it's my hobby and I'll do what I want with it.

EDITOR'S PICK #2

What do you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

I enjoy CiC just the way it is to be honest. It is a very friendly place to be and I hope that it continues for a long time to come. Just a thought and I have no clue whether it is possible but it might be nice to see some stats every now and again for the forum in total such as number of posts, number of new members etc.
    ED - Sean: Are you listening!?

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

Mainly work. With at least a third of the workforce working overnight, my phone has a habit of ringing during the night. It sounds quite callous but if the phone doesn't ring and both kids are still in their own beds, not too much will keep me awake apart from the sound of my own snoring.

I have to ask this…. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

Camera body EOS 450D, with the 10D as a back up if I need it.

Lenses are 85mm f1.2 L which is an awesome piece of glass, a 70-200mm f4 IS L which is a fairly new addition to the family but I am so pleased with it and the 18-55mm IS kit lens that came with the 450D which is actually a very good lens and will suffice until my next planned purchase of the 24-105 L series. But the biggest question is, do I get the more expensive one that comes with a free 7D?

I use CS5 for editing.

It’s a tough one to answer, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

I think my skills and ability will always be a 5 out of 10. This is because I will always be better than I used to be but not as good as I want to be.

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

I think 3D will be huge and maybe beyond that there will be a more interactive aspect to photography where far more information will be stored within an image so that if I want to see more, or maybe even what was behind the camera rather than in front then I could. Wow, that sounds cool, remember folks, it was my idea!

Another tough one for you…do you consider photography to be art?

Definitely. I don't know whether my images are artistic or not, but in my world anything that requires a level of creativity must be an art. Whilst I may not be equipped to critique other peoples images on their artistic merit or hidden messages, many photographs have the ability to mesmerise and stop me in my tracks for a while in the same way as a Van Gogh or Munch would be able to.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

I don't mind to be honest but I would much rather be at the business end of the camera.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Don't even consider using that automatic setting. Learn the relationship between shutter speed, aperture, ISO and exposure, pick a mode and play around until it works.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

I don't really need to explain why image 1 is special, do I? We waited a long time for these two to come along, and spent a fortune on IVF and so this will always be the most special day.

Image 2 is of my previous baby, before the other ones came along. The picture was taken on the Isle of Arran off the west coast of Scotland which probably means more to Donald than readers in the southern hemisphere. Sadly she is no longer with us but Bombar was a big part of our lives for 15 years.

I make no apology for the dreadful quality of these images. I think it is interesting how most of us on CiC spend such a long time trying to take that perfect photograph, and yet the most powerful emotions can come from the "worst" photos.

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

I hate peas.

That's all we have time for, Steve. Thank you for taking part.

It has been a pleasure. Thanks have to go to you Donald for putting your time into this feature though.

Click here to access all previous interviews in this series

Real Name
    Kay

Re: In conversation with .......... Steve Webb

Thanks Steve - Good to know some more about you.
    As a worker in the world of IVF it is wonderful to see the successful results and I admire your dietary aversion to those wee grren things as well...I used to line them up and hide them under my knife as a kid

Real Name
    Elise

Very nice, Steve -- I love these interviews, which allow us to put more of a "face" to the person behind the camera. I just have one burning question -- how did your wife manage to look so lovely and put-together after what I assume was a long and stressful process of giving birth to twins?

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Thanks for knowing something about you, Steve. We all have diverse background and yet we share the same interest in Photography. How cool is that! Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Chris

Ditto to Jiro's comments...it is this great art form which brings us all together, diverse as we all are...but I like peas.

Hi Steve, I am not only impressed with your photography but I love the way you speak so proudly and happily of Zoe and your boys. Keep it up! I tried to download the pic of the Joshua, Lewis and Zoe, so that I could paint a fishing rod into their arms but apart from the fact that their arms are so tightly bundled that they couldn't if they tried, I couldnt get them to download so I'm afraid you will have to wait a little while!

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Diane - That would have been funny.

Chris and Jiro - Photography is the art but CiC is the vehicle that brings this particular and growing group of people together. Long may that continue.

Elise - I wish I knew, I think I looked like death at the time and went home for a rest shortly after that photo.

Kay - There are so many people all over the world that have a family as a result of IVF and this is something that too many people take for granted. Having gone through the emotional rollercoaster three times to finally get our family I have nothing but admiration and respect for people that deal with the joy and heartbreak every day.

Steve
    The pictures are wonderful , word can not express the happyness in the eyes, Congratulation .
    I wish you and your familly all the best
    Thanks for sharing

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks for sharing Steve. I have been told by some that getting to know the artist even a little makes the purchase of their art a bit more important and interesting to the buyer....I think these interviews do a similar thing for us all here at CIC.

Steve

Great to get to know you a little better. You must be very proud of those twins and it certainly comes through in your writing. It took WireVixen and I 6 years to produce our eldest and we had actually started IVF consultancy at a clinic in Liverpool when she became pregnant. It is a very difficult time for a relationship and getting through it the way you have done with such a marvellous result speaks volumes of your commitment to each other.

This is so enjoyable to read - both the interview and all of the comments. We, too, love the mild days when we can be outside and barbeque with the kids running around. That's, also, incredibly super that your family can roll your photography and fun vacations together into one. I guess, even with your knee injury and trials, your life sounds so pleasant.

Real Name
    Cheri

It is great to get to know the person behind the camera. Everyone asks where I am in the photos and I am the person behind the camera, so now we have a remote which is great. What a blessing to have twins. In my earlier years I had friends who were identical twins and we had a good time with them trading places in class and such. Your pictures are great! Our summers are very short in Northern British Columbia, Canada that we also spend most of the summer cooking outside.

A picture takes us all back to the time the picture was taken and our life is documented through our pictures. Thank you for letting us get to know you and your family Steve.

Real Name
    Rachel

I'm just starting to catch up and read these interviews, it's great to have an opportunity to get to know people a little better... thanks for taking the time to share

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks everyone for your comments. It really was a pleasure to take part and share some more information with my CiC family.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Thanks Steve - Good to know some more about you.
    As a worker in the world of IVF it is wonderful to see the successful results and I admire your dietary aversion to those wee grren things as well...I used to line them up and hide them under my knife as a kid
    The key to successful pea consumption is spices or sugars.

Real Name
    John

Hi Steve,

I'll bet there are more interesting stories in your line of work that you are not at liberty to divulge. So, try to use references from movies and give us the juicy parts.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    The key to successful pea consumption is spices or sugars.
    I actually managed to convince my parents' yorshire terrier that peas were treats for her.

I am far too professional to go name dropping or telling about "interesting stories", but there was this one time with Elton John, Kate Moss and Lewis Hamilton..........

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by stevewe88 View Post
    I actually managed to convince my parents' yorshire terrier that peas were treats for her.

And who can forget about wasabi coated peas, it's like ripping a bandage off a scar, you don't care what's beneath it you just want to get on with it.
    I am far too professional to go name dropping or telling about "interesting stories", but there was this one time with Elton John, Kate Moss and Lewis Hamilton..........
    On the same job?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    On the same job?
    stranger things have happened.