Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Comments/advice appreciated.

Real Name
    Eon

Comments/advice appreciated.

Hi Everyone.

I'm still pretty new here.

I have had my first DSLR for about 6 weeks or so. I read up on basic principles for about four months before buying my first camera (Nikon D7000).

If anyone has time I would appreciate any comments on any of the four photos I have displayed in my album.

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/fo...hp?albumid=978

All were shot manual and I have provided some EXIF data which I hope will help.

I am continually blown away with the quality of images I see displayed in this community.

Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Comments/advice appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by eon View Post
    Hi Everyone.

I'm still pretty new here.

I have had my first DSLR for about 6 weeks or so. I read up on basic principles for about four months before buying my first camera (Nikon D7000).

If anyone has time I would appreciate any comments on any of the four photos I have displayed in my album.

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/fo...hp?albumid=978

All were shot manual and I have provided some EXIF data which I hope will help.

I am continually blown away with the quality of images I see displayed in this community.

Thanks in advance.
    Eon

Both you and the camera seem to be working well.

Can I suggest that people might find it easier to comment if you were to post the images directly into the posts in which you ask for C & C. I think most people probably find it easier to do that rather than have to go off to an album and then come back to the thread to post a reply. If you have any problems posting the posts, have a read of this and then if still not sure, just call upon someone for assistance.

Real Name
    Eon

Thanks for your assistance Donald, I'll see if this works.

spitfire.jpg
    sr71-2.jpg
    picture-1.jpg
    blackie.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Nice new toy, Eon. You have to get in touch with miniChris to know some tricks with the D7000. I like the 4 a lot, maybe because I am a guitarist, too. #3 has a lot of post-processing potential to tweak. Even the way you framed the mannequin is good. Nice work. Hope to see some more.

Real Name
    Eon

Jiro, Hi

Thanks for your comments, I will make contact with miniChris for sure.
    Have a good day

Real Name
    Brian

Where are you viewing an SR-71? That is what I'm looking at in photo 2 right? I thought that was a yankee invention????

Thanks for posting.

Real Name
    Steve

I believe that is at Duxford, Cambridgeshire. The only one on display outside of the US.

And for the real geeks it is serial number 61-7962

Cheers
    Steve

Real Name
    Eon

Yeah, your correct... The Spitfire and the SR71 were Duxford. Thanks

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

I particularly like your Spitfire (or is it a Hurricane). Do you us Photoshop? If you do look at the histogram,which suggests you need to increase levels slightly to lighten the image, then a touch of increased contrast and also brightness, and finally a little sharpening and you have a cracker. If you need any further explanation or help let me know. Four nice images.

Real Name
    Eon

Hi Chris,

Yeah it's a Spitfire.... Thankyou.

No, I dont have photoshop, just view NX2, the supplied software which I think is like a basic RAW converter. Still finding my way around the camera. Shot in manual mode with a 16-85mm lense handheld VR on. ISO 100, 30mm 1/13 at F5.6.

The Spitfire image was taken with just natural light coming through the partially glazed roof.

Appreciate the response.
    Eon.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by stevewe88 View Post
    I believe that is at Duxford, Cambridgeshire. The only one on display outside of the US.

And for the real geeks it is serial number 61-7962

Cheers
    Steve
    I am a geek, but not that big of one! Lol
    Cool photo

Real Name
    Chris

At one time, I probably unloaded the camera bay from that bird,,,small world!

Real Name
    Dennis Dakin

All four photos are very nice. I especially like the Spitfire. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Real Name
    Al

OK, one more geek has to chime in here.

First, let me say I like all the shots except #3. I hope this is taken in the spirit in which it's given, but this shot just doesn't work for me. Harsh lighting, dark shadows behind the mannequin on the left, a bright light peeking out behind the hat, and there's something in the upper right corner that's just a distraction. Then there's the photographer's leg in the mirror. As Jiro pointed out, it could be improved in PP, but unless someone points out exactly what could be improved, you haven't learned much. More importantly, practically all of these could have been avoided in the first place, but you have to learn to recognize them before you shoot. (Not as easy as it sounds).

Speaking of post-processing... as a relative newbie to photography, allow me to share a little tip that some here may (at least at first glance) grimace upon reading: get a decent PP package and learn to use it; it will make you a better photographer. Even if you never need to use it after you learn it, the process of learning post-processing will make you familiar with all sorts of problems that could (and preferably, should) be avoided in the first place. Practicing fixing all these different problems while learning a PP package simultaneously trains you to recognize all these problems, and you have the time to think about how to avoid them when you don't have the camera in your hand, ready to shoot. Learning to recognize and avoid problems makes you a better photographer... learning to fix them in PP is just an interesting way to train yourself (and you get some PP skills as a bonus, in case you ever need them!)

Ah, yes... the airplanes! I've been an aviation geek my whole life, and there's a Blackbird here I've been trying to get a decent shot of for months. It's tough to get a decent angle on this beast on the ground, or even a slightly elevated position. I have belly shots, engine shots, wing shots, and tail shots. None of them do the Blackbird justice, so I'm still working on it... I'm determined to find a way to "get the shot", even if it takes years. I like your Blackbird shot, though the bright background isn't doing you any favors, and the exagerrated nose from this perspective is a matter of taste (having said that, the "not completely great" shot that you do get is better than the great shot you don't have).

I hope you don't mind, but I had quick shot at PP on the Spitfire. Pretty much just quick adjustments for tonal curves, contrast, brightness of subject vs. background, and darken the bright panel in the upper right corner. If you object to my mods, I will, of course remove the image immediately, but this sort of thing is fairly common on this forum, so I hope you don't mind.

Comments/advice appreciated.
    Last edited by Snarkbyte; 1st April 2011 at 02:00 AM.

Real Name
    Eon

Hi,

Thanks for the advice Snarkbyte.... I wondered when someone was gonna spot my leg in the mirror. I appreciate the detailed comments and no I don't mind you "tweaking" the shot.

Real Name
    Steve

Welcome eon, you have some nice images here. I really like the first one. I don't want to sound repetitive(we were just talking about this with another member), but it also has a red color cast to it. To correct it, adjust the black and white points of each individual channel ( red, blue, green ) with the levels tool. If the image looks too cool to you, you can then adjust the opacity slider to your liking.

Real Name
    Eon

Many Thanks for all your help guys... real helpful.

Real Name
    Donny

Hi there, i like your picture.. Specially The Blackbird.. The guitarist is very nice too..
    But I think your lighting for the manequin picture is little bit over for me.. What kind of flash do you use?? internal or external??
    One more thing that bothers me in that pict is your leg (is it??) on the mirror..
    Thank you..

Real Name
    Eon

Dons,

No flash was used on any of the pics, just the light available. I have only been shooting DSLR for six weeks and am at present reading up on flash related topics, so all I have, should the need arise is the in camera fill flash.

Cheers