Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wolves

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Wolves

I recently spent an interesting day at the Anglian Wolf Society facility, a wolf sanctuary in the home counties. As these are dangerous animals they live in sizable enclosures surrounded by hefty security fencing.

The fencing spoiled a number of images, so I have edited in new backgrounds to try and produce a feeling of the natural habitat of tundra and forest.. I have got too close to this project to know whether I have succeeded so I would welcome your views.

Wolves

Wolves

Wolves

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Wolves

Hi Chris
    I know the feeling of tinkering with something for so long that you can't see the wood for the trees.

In my very humble opinion #1 works the best of all three as this is the one that obviously had the least amount to select for the new background. The new background seems to fit the subject better than the other two and looks more natural to me. It reminds me of "The Littlest Hobo" if anyone else knows what I am talking about.

#2 the background cloning is a bit repetitive and begins to look very messy. Have you tried just going to take a picture of the background you wanted rather than having to clone one from a small area?

#3 I think works but I don't like the picture of the wolf so much as it looks a bit deformed, almost like it's neck was swollen. Was it laying down when you took that one? The selction of the wolf itself looks to have been doen the best of all three though.

As I said above, it is only my opinion so feel free to ignore it, but number 1 looks best to me.

All the best
    Steve

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'm okay with the background in #2. I thought it worked okay. Wasn't so keen on it in #3, as it looks as if it's a background slotted in behind a picture of the animal.

But when we get to the animal in each, then I go towards #1, for the simple reason that its shows both grace and determination and gives, for me, an true representation of a wolf. If I am asked to imagine a wolf, this is the sort of picture that would come into my mind.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks for your comments guys.

I thought about going out to search for suitable backgrounds but Marlow doesn't really have anything that resembles tundra or forest, so I had to make do with raiding my photo store. The snow/tree background is in fact Winter Hill above Marlow shot from the River Thames last December.

No. 3 above is a great face but difficult to find a suitable background so maybe I should stick to the original with fences - I have posted the original below: -

Wolves

Real Name
    Steve

I can see why you wanted to change the background, it does change the whole feeling of the image from a sense of freedom to one of enclosure and loneliness.

I recently purchased 850 background images from e-bay for 15 quid in the hope that it would solve this sort of problem for me too, however I don't think even 1 of the 850 would be suitable for this one. I will have a look when I get on the right computer later though.

Real Name
    Rob

For number 3, I like the original with the fence more than the edited one.

Real Name
    Glyn

I agree with Rob no3 just does not look right to me, it gives the feel of the subject stuck on the background (which it is) maybe if you blurred the background gave it some DOF might make it look more natural

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

I agree with your comments Glyn - This guy has such a terrific face so it is worth while trying to sort out an acceptable background. I will try your suggestion and blur the snow covered forest and see how it comes out.

Real Name
    Glyn

Your subject sits well with my avatar and thread name good luck with the background Chris

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks Glyn - If I have some success I will post it.