Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: beautiful spring flowers

beautiful spring flowers

beautiful spring flowers

This is western trillium (Trillium ovatum), a perennial herb in the lily family. I stumbled upon these early blossoms on a glorious nature walk the other day. Bright splashes of white in a backdrop of muted early spring colours, they are.

In some regions of Canada certain members of Trillium are protected, as picking the flower kills the entire plant. Their fruits are also covered in a fragrant oil used to attract ants for seed dispersal.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: beautiful spring flowers

Awesome! Clever use of depth of field to separate the 2 flowers. So, may we know the name of the young "punk" who took this nice image? Just kidding. Good work, bro'.

Real Name
    Mike

Bleys, from this example, I would have to agree with your signature. Nice image!

Mike

Real Name
    David

Wow, that depth of field is great!!! o and the flowers as well..

I appreciate the comments, all. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by bleys View Post
    In some regions of Canada certain members of Trillium are protected, as picking the flower kills the entire plant. Their fruits are also covered in a fragrant oil used to attract ants for seed dispersal.
    This is beautiful! The lighting is really wonderful and the detail that you've got in the flower's petals is a thrill. The only thing that I would say is that, the out of focus flower is pulling my attention away. Maybe, because of the composition? For example, the oof one on the top holds a pretty prominent space, within the frame. If you had been at a lower angle, maybe, it would have looked more like just a bystander, instead of such another prominent player in the scene. Maybe, maybe.... Maybe, quite possibly, I'm wrong. Maybe, someone else knows why or what to do about it? I think this is Lovely, though!

....and I've been wanting to try and grow some Trilliums in a "wooded" garden that I want to start, this year, but I've heard they take a while to get started; so, this got a little suppressed squeal from me, when I saw this. Are they as fun to find as a Ladyslipper, I wonder? They're endangered and protected and really magic to find in the woods!

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    This is beautiful! The lighting is really wonderful and the detail that you've got in the flower's petals is a thrill. The only thing that I would say is that, the out of focus flower is pulling my attention away. Maybe, because of the composition? For example, the oof one on the top holds a pretty prominent space, within the frame. If you had been at a lower angle, maybe, it would have looked more like just a bystander, instead of such another prominent player in the scene. Maybe, maybe.... Maybe, quite possibly, I'm wrong. Maybe, someone else knows why or what to do about it? I think this is Lovely, though!

....and I've been wanting to try and grow some Trilliums in a "wooded" garden that I want to start, this year, but I've heard they take a while to get started; so, this got a little suppressed squeal from me, when I saw this. Are they as fun to find as a Ladyslipper, I wonder? They're endangered and protected and really magic to find in the woods!
    Yeah, I understand what you're saying. The OOF flower does compete with the in-focus flower. I tried my best to experiment with different angles and compositions, and this just happened to be the best of the bunch. Perhaps when I go out again I'll find some more to shoot or maybe experiment on these ones if they're still in such good condition.

I was amazed at how many there were popping up out there. It seemed like hundreds in this one little area. And I thought they were rare! Another prevalent one is Pacific bleeding heart (Dicentra formosa). Such delicate plants with beautiful, peculiar little flowers. Oh, I found some white fawn lily (Erythronium oregonum) too. I'll have to make sure I shoot those when they bloom.

I'm in a forestry program that's heavily plant based (obviously? ) so it's to my advantage to absorb them as often as I can. Plus they fascinate me endlessly.

I appreciate the comments and critiques, even if it's nitpicking or small details. Anything and everything helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bleys View Post
    Yeah, I understand what you're saying. The OOF flower does compete with the in-focus flower. I tried my best to experiment with different angles and compositions, and this just happened to be the best of the bunch. Perhaps when I go out again I'll find some more to shoot or maybe experiment on these ones if they're still in such good condition.
    I'm glad that you see it, too. I was hoping that someone would come in to confirm or contradict or suggest a different crop or some such thing so that I could learn. It's made me think the idea through, anyway.

I was amazed at how many there were popping up out there. It seemed like hundreds in this one little area. And I thought they were rare! Another prevalent one is Pacific bleeding heart (Dicentra formosa). Such delicate plants with beautiful, peculiar little flowers. Oh, I found some white fawn lily (Erythronium oregonum) too. I'll have to make sure I shoot those when they bloom.
    It sounds like you found a load of treasure, then. I think that you must be a great mind who thinks alike because, this past autumn, I moved my bleeding hearts from the garden in the old house. They're going to go into my 'wooded garden', too. (If I can figure out how to dig on such a steep slope.)

Anyway, point is, if you do get a photo - please, please, please share it here! because, like you said....

I'm in a forestry program that's heavily plant based (obviously? ) so it's to my advantage to absorb them as often as I can. Plus they fascinate me endlessly.
    A lot of us, too.

I appreciate the comments and critiques, even if it's nitpicking or small details. Anything and everything helps.
    Know what you mean! Thanks!