Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: cactus flower

cactus flower

was out and about on a cloudy and damp morning yesterday and happened on this lovely cactus bloom - not sure which image crop I like best - please let me know which I should print - I'm thinking 12x18 canvas wrap

kimber

first - with so much of the background, it seems a bit blue to me

cactus flower

second - maybe too much "stuff" going on

cactus flower

third - close enough? too close?

cactus flower

Real Name
    Mike

Re: cactus flower

Kimber,

You might want to try uploading your images again. Let me know if you need help.

Mike

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Kimber

If it was me (and it's not so you have to decide which is best for you), I wouldn't go with the third one. The flower is too centred in the frame for my liking.

Which leaves #1 & #2. In #1, I think you have more of the context; i.e. there's more of the plant showing and we're clear as to what plant we're looking at. And, again for me, the flower head fills a more proportionate percentage of the frame. But, of course, there will be many people who would prefer the flower head occupying a larger portion of the frame, such as in #2.

Real Name
    Fatima Alloo

Hi Kimber,

I couldn't see the photo - can you post it again. I wanted to share with you a photo I took of a cactus.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Not sure what's happening here, as some people seem unable to see the images. Anyone got any ideas?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I can see them OK (they're hosted at CiC), but I know some have problems with that (don't know why) just I have problems with 80% hosted at TinyPic - what a frustratingly complex world we live in.

Nothing is worse than when 'technology' doesn't work!

#2 for me (or #1)

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

I can't see anything, either.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

I can't see anything.

Real Name
    Bill S

I'm going to stop reading this thread before I go blind too!!!

- Bill

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I've copied the images into my FLICKR account (where they are tagged as 'private') and copied them in here, just so as Kimber can get feedback.

cactus flower

cactus flower

cactus flower

Real Name
    Brian

flickr ftw! (at least while i'm viewing pics at work on my lunch break)
    I like #1 best as it give you enough context while still having great detail on the flower. The flower is also in a better spot within the framing. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Bill S

Kimber,

As a pure vote for which I would print if I was going to, I'd pick #1. I don't feel the bluish color you mention takes away from the photo, it is so offset by the bright yellow that it looks ok to me. If you're worried about that, try and color shift it to more of a green to match the catcus, framing the flower in soft green tones.

#2 has that large dark area that I think might be overpowering in a print.

#3 has a similarly large dark area as well as causing the cactus to become nothing but an intrusion in the frame. There is little sense that this is a cactus flower, but more just a flower with some thorns around it. Additionally, the flower petal breaks the right edge of the frame, throwing off the balance.

Personally, a cactus flower shot works best when the delicate flower is juxtaposed with the harsh thorns of the cactus. Which in these three is best illustrated by #1 - even though only some of the cactus is in clarity, I believe the blurred thorns below the flower provide enough of a sense of that feeling. Again, that is just my opinion talking!

They are all great shots though. I love the beautiful effect the dew produces on the petals! The only thing that could have made that better would have been a big drop about to fall from one of those sharp thorns!

Nice captures! I'm sure whichever you pick, it'll look fantastic adorning your wall!

- Bill

Real Name
    Steve

Flickr and donald to the rescue

I like #1 the best because it is much clearer that it is a cactus flower and you get the contradiction between the thorns and the flower.

very nice shots.

WOW! Thanks for the feedback and Thanks also to Donald for re-posting the images - not sure why they went missing from the CiC feed - the more I've looked at them the more I'm leaning to image #1 for pretty much Donald, Brian and Bill's reasons - with the 12x18 gallery wrap 2-inches will wrap around the edges of the wooden frame - so a bit of a change in crop and the flower pops right off the canvas - it'll look great in my gallery hallway - a fancy name I've given this strange little L-shaped hallway between my office and the living room that's really too small for anything but images.

I showed the images to a co-worker and she wants a 12x18 of image #2 herself.

Thanks all for helping -

kimber

Real Name
    Brian

That is high praise when someone asks for a print!

Real Name
    james

Very nice pics.I like three best .. but with me bigger is better.