Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hosting Jazz Musician in a school venue

Real Name
    Kay

Hosting Jazz Musician in a school venue

Hi All
    It seems we are expecting a visit from a celebrity Jazz musician tomorrow afternoon.
    He is coming to our school chapel, which is an old dimly lit building with high ceilings and a stage area that is darker than the seating area.
    Now this in itself would not worry me as previously, I have taken 2 exposures of music groups in this venue, 1 exposed for the floor area and 1 for those on the stage in RAW and processed them to make 1 nice image.
    But this time those who have arranged the gig have also asked someone to light it - and I have seen photos taken with these lights before - it will be like full blinding spotlights, shield your eyes from the glare territory...

Here is an example, I didn't take this one, but I had a friend's child in the group so knew about the lighting/venue issues.
    The carpet is reddish colour - the drapes are a similar colour, then spotlights 'boom'

Any advice as to how best to manage this situation would be most gratefully received.
    I am not overly concerned about the WB issue as I can shoot my grey card in RAW first - it's more the harsh nature of the lights and resultant shadows and exposure factors that have me scratching my wee head

Also I am sorry for the short notice for responses, but I was only just asked today

Hosting Jazz Musician in a school venue

Many thanks team
    k

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Hosting Jazz Musician in a school venue

Prayer might work. If the backdrop behind the curtains isn't too awfully messy, I'd probably ask them to open the curtains and at least take that red factor out of the equation...also, with the curtain open, move the group back away from that red carpet. I would certainly use a lens hood to knock down the glare factor...and if it is possible, to ask someone beforehand to knock off a light or two, or even lower the voltage to the lights and dim them considerably...shoot one quick graycard and then make your portaits.

If all else fails, ask them to step outside and shoot on the steps of the facility. What I see above is one of those hopes for devine intervention shots, then again, this is not my venue, so I hope someone else chimes in for you.

Real Name
    Brian

I like the outside suggestion if that is your only lighting possibility. Any chance other lights will be available? If it's a smaller band the issue may not be as bad, especially if that beam of light can be spread out any.
    Of course you already know white balance can change within a space when different types of light are working at the same time. This was my biggest challenge at my son's musical this year...

Real Name
    Kay

Thanks guys
    I knew you would feel my pain - misery loves company.
    Brian I have shot a drum concert in the same venue - with different coloured lights swinging around and smoke - that actually was better than this, as all other lights were off & a lot were miss, but a lot were 'hits' as well.

This is that 1 or 2 big bright stationery spots.... but Chris' idea of opening the curtain could work....I will get there early and see.
    And both of you mentioning a smaller group gives me heart, as it should just be James....and then maybe he'll ask a student or two up with him....

Food for thought, thankyou both again very much.
    Cheers
    k

Real Name
    Brian

Good luck Kay. From what I have seen from your work I know you have some different skills to apply, so I suspect you will do fine