Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Large blowups from 1.6x format...

Real Name
    Richard

Large blowups from 1.6x format...

I am sure that there have been threads on this subject but, I could not find any.

I know that there is a way to gradually enlarge images using Photoshop CS5 to obtain the largest possible prints with the best definition and quality. I once read a technique that enlarged the images in gradual stages with sharpening interspersed.

If anyone knows of this procedure or can direct me to information regarding the process, I would appreciate it.

Oh yes, I want to enlarge images of Yosemite National Park, California shot, tripod mounted, with a 40D and top-line lenses such as the 24-70mm f/2.8L and 70-200mm f/4L IS. I want to have some of these images printed on canvas. COSTCO discount store has a good deal on canvas prints...

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Large blowups from 1.6x format...

This might be good Richard.

http://www.imagener.com/

But I use Helicon Filter which goes up to about 20" on presets using a modern algorith called the Mitchell method.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Richard,

I do this all the time (typically 22 x 44").

If you feel the need for up-sampling, just do it all in 1 hit, and sharpen afterwards (typically 40% @ 4 pixel). My experience upsampling incrementally is (a) it doesn't add any meaningful detail, and (b) it can exaggerate/distort some detail.

In extreme cases, Genuine Fractals is generally considered to be the best; I used it once to up-sample an image shot at VGA resolution (640 x 480) (when we had to also heavily crop) in to a 22 x 15" canvas) -- was still a very soft result though, that looked "sb-optimal) at viewing distances less than about 5 feet.

Real Name
    Robin

You shouldn't need to upscale the 40D is good enough for huge enlargements and canvas prints don't hold super fine detail like a paper print will.

Real Name
    Richard

Thank you my friends. I promised my darling wife to get a large canvas for the hallway wall. When she wants something photographically, I always put that on top priority. That way, there are no complaints when I want to buy a new piece of photo gear.

Real Name
    Elise

Gotta love a man who knows how to keep his wife happy (and keep himself in new equipment) . . .