Thread: Tools to revert to circle based....how to?

Real Name
    Kay

Tools to revert to circle based....how to?

Hi all
    I would like my tools such as brush tool and clone stamp etc - to show as a circle, which then I can resize and soften based on the how-to guide in my photoshop book and on Kelby training....however for some reason they keep appearing like a wee brush or a wee stamp pad....
    I have tried 'reset all tools' and then restarted photoshop....to no avail.
    I realise this is the most silly question ever - but there you have it....
    ..as ever replies gratefully received
    Thankyou

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Tools to revert to circle based....how to?

Click the "BRUSH PRESET" button on the right, Kay. If you are using PS CS5, it is the 5th button from the top of that small tool palette beside the major control palette on the right. The top one is INFO, next down is the HISTOGRAM, then HISTORY, then ACTIONS, then BRUSH PRESETS. You can find that icon since its icon are 2 brushes in opposite directions. Once the brush pop up window opens up, click the drop down menu (the one far right on the top bar of that window). After you clicked it will show you all the brush options loaded on your CS5 copy. Look for the "BASIC BRUSHES" and click it. Now, it will ask you "Replace current brushes with the brushes from basic brushes? Click OK. Your brush will now go back to its default rounded shape. Good luck. I hope this is the one that you are looking for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jiro; 19th March 2011 at 06:12 AM.

Real Name
    Kay

Hi Jiro
    You are once again a kind and helpful gentleman!
    And I just had to go for a walk with my husband and the dog - I think he feared for the life of the computer if i didn't leave it!
    I am getting very frustrated when I can't do something - but need to remember that I have actually learnt a lot in the last 6 months form where I was....
    that said - didn't work
    I was in painting - so got back in to essentials - found the 2 brushes in opposite directions - found all the options in the drop down - found the basic brushes - did the replace current brushes with basic and did that - it sort of worked as when I hit ok - I saw all the brushes over on the right change to circles....
    but now for the bad news (and maybe I'm not explaining my problem properly)
    when i go back over to the left and select a paintbrush or clone stamp - they still show up as wee 'things' a brush or a stamp and not plain old circles...
    Sorry I think I am a lost photoshop cause...

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

OK. on the top left of the open photoshop window, after you have clicked the brush tool, click on the icon that says "toggle brush panel" (it is beside the brush preset picker). Once you clicked it, it will open another window with more complicated option as to how you want to configure your brush. Make sure that nothing is checked on all options. Close it by clicking that 2 small arrows pointing to the right. Hope this helps. If it didn't, I would appreciate a screen capture of the actual shape of the brush that you are having problem with.

Real Name
    Kay

Thankyou -

Real Name
    Joey

Hi Kay, not sure this will help, but heres something I found out the hard way. My brushes switched from a circle to a crosshair and I couldn't resize on the image. Come to find out after bangin my head against the wall, all it was is I had hit the CAPS LOCK by mistake, and after unlocking it the brushes were normal again. It's happened to me twice ! I forgot what I did to correct from the last time...haha. I won't make that mistake 3 times ( I hope ). Anyway hope this is all your problem is too.

Real Name
    Kay

Thanks Joey
    I will keep that in mind :-)