Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photoshop Elements 8 - photo transparency

Real Name
    Ron

Photoshop Elements 8 - photo transparency

I am trying to overlay pictures on a background so that the top of each overlay gradually goes transparent from approx its middle to its edges eg it blends in nicely with the background. Or, if this is not possible, maybe from the top edge of each overlay photo to its bottom. I am going 'grey' (more grey ) reading my books and the forums to seek an answer ... any help much appreciated

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Photoshop Elements 8 - photo transparency

Ron, does elements 8 supports layering and masking? Or was that an obvious question? If it does, what you could do is to apply a black to white gradient mask to the one on top so it can blend to the background. Sorry, I don't have Elements on my computer to really help you out.

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Ron, does elements 8 supports layering and masking? ...
    It sure does, thanks for your input.
    But I can't find a way to 'do as I wish' ... maybe I am over taxing its capabilities, or mine more likely
    I will go and get a stiff drink ... might help to clear the brain

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    I will go and get a stiff drink ... might help to clear the brain
    What an excellent idea.

At the moment I'm waiting her back from my bank after having ran the two programmes they wanted me to and sent them the log files - all to identify what attacked me at the end of last week and tried to get me to enter all my bank details - passwords, log in codes etc etc.

Luckily I didn't.

And I always prided myself in being very security conscious. Oh well, it can happen to the best of us.

Real Name

I'm not so sure if this could help, Ron but you could give it a try: http://www.photoshopessentials.com/p...s/photo-blend/
    Good luck.

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    What an excellent idea.

At the moment I'm waiting her back from my bank after having ran the two programmes they wanted me to and sent them the log files - all to identify what attacked me at the end of last week and tried to get me to enter all my bank details - passwords, log in codes etc etc.

Luckily I didn't.

And I always prided myself in being very security conscious. Oh well, it can happen to the best of us.
    Ah ... that's better Ain't solved my problem though ... yet.
    Hope it was your bank that you sent the log files to ... ho, hum
    I had one of those 'You are infected. Get rid of these trojans etc using our new beaut anti virus ... click here blah, blah'. Fortunately I didn't but it froze my screen so I closed it with Task Manager.

Real Name
    Ron

I'm not so sure if this could help, Ron but you could give it a try: http://www.photoshopessentials.com/p...s/photo-blend/
    Good luck.
    Thanks for this Willie ... I think its similar to what I have been following in my books. Looks like I am asking too much of PSE8 eg gradual transparency from the middle.

Real Name
    David Victor Woods

Layer Masks in Elements (Version 9 has them)

To create layer masks in elements do the following:

For those using Elements Versions which do not have layer masks have to do the following:

1. Duplicate the background layer.

2. Create a dummy adjustment layer such as a levels adjustment – make no adjustments.

3. This layer should then me moved to be between the 2 layers

4. Select the top layer and then left click and press the alt key and drag on the line between the top layer and the levels adjustment. Two Linked Circles will appear, when these appear release the mouse button and the screen will be as below. You have now linked the first layer to the adjustment layer – levels. You can now use the mask to left on the levels adjustment layer as described below to bring detail from the red layer into the photograph.

To use the layer mask ensure the background/and foreground colours are set to their default of Black/White by pressing the “D” key.

You can now select the mask directly and the Brush Tool by pressing “B” and paint on the mask to reveal the red in the background layer. To change foreground and background colours quickly press X. This will change the colours to Black and White or reverse them to white and black. Remember to paint on the Mask using the brush tool not the Photo !!

Hope this helps you.

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by victor View Post
    Layer Masks in Elements (Version 9 has them)

To create layer masks in elements do the following:
    Hope this helps you.
    Thanks for your input I will 'sober up' first and have a good study soonest

Real Name
    Ron

Well I finally sobered up and combined two pictures without the 'join' showing up
    The fisherman on rocks was added to the background. It is also easy to add more pics and blend.

As a first attempt I am pleased with the result though I will improve as time goes by
    How I did this was to take up all the good ideas from the inputs I received from CiC and Adobe forums and ...

Drop overlay into background and size/position
    Ctrl + Create New Layer which places the new layer between the other two
    Select top layer
    Ctrl + G
    Select Gradient Tool
    Select middle layer
    Draw gradient ... I used a Radial on this one, drawing a line from roughly the middle of the fisherman. Couldn't see him of cause but had the brain power to recall where I had placed him
    Then I clicked on the Move Tool and was able to move the gradient around on the pic and to resize it to blend the edges etc.

Well, I think that was how I did it ... now where did I write it down

I am sure that there many other better ways but this was easiest for me

Real Name
    Wendy

Look good Ron. Thanks for posting the process. I want to try something like this with textures, but I don't even know how to get a different picture in seperate layers in Elements. This might be a good start. I have books and tutorials, but just no time right now - unless of course I quit dropping in here to see what everyone is up to, and we can't have that.

Wendy

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post

I am sure that there many other better ways but this was easiest for me
    Nice work, Ron. Your combined edit is very funny. It's as if the fishermen "caught" the boat! ROFLMAO! You did great on your edit. Cheers!

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Look good Ron. Thanks for posting the process.
    Wendy
    Thanks Wendy ... I have a lot of experimentation to do now with this 'new toy*

Nice work, Ron. Your combined edit is very funny. It's as if the fishermen "caught" the boat! ROFLMAO! You did great on your edit. Cheers!
    His eyesight was poor ... he thought it WAS a fish
    Thanks mate for your input

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Ron,
    Great edit,tried something similar myself but always made a hash of it.This thread gives me the enthusiasm to have another go.
    I came across this free download for a layers mask for elements (I use elements 7) and it seems to work fine, it may be of interest to you,here is the link
    http://www.prophotolife.com/video-ba...age-technique/

Best Wishes Pat

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ollokot View Post
    Hi Ron,
    Great edit,tried something similar myself but always made a hash of it.This thread gives me the enthusiasm to have another go.
    I came across this free download for a layers mask for elements (I use elements 7) and it seems to work fine, it may be of interest to you,here is the link
    http://www.prophotolife.com/video-ba...age-technique/

Best Wishes Pat
    Thanks for that Pat. I also spent hours on these 'mixings' trying to get a reasonable result ... for me it was a major learn. So far I have found the radial gradient to be the best because it 'fades' in all directions if worked out from the centre.

There is a lot of learning with Elements ... how do folk find the time to learn the more powerful full bottle programmes