Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with ..... Richard Ruddle

©Image, Steve (Wirefox)

Name: Richard Ruddle
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/RichardRuddlePhotography

CiC: Richard, thanks very much for taking the time to talk to us today.

It is my pleasure! Thank you for this unique opportunity to share a little bit about myself and my love of photography.

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history – anything interesting?

Sure. I feel I have always had wonderfully exciting career opportunities throughout my life. For the most part, I have spent my time in the United States Armed Forces, in particular the U.S. Army. I am currently serving with the United States Army Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps in Washington D.C., one of the Army's premier bands. I have been in the military for about 16 years. Other than that, a brief break in military service from 1997 to 2005 found me chasing a computer career as a web developer with technology firm in Virginia.

Music has always been at my core. I began drumming in Jr. High School and throughout life have been associated with a variety of world class musical organizations. I have performed with the Haddonfield Symphony Orchestra, The Bayonne Bridgemen Drum and Bugle Corps, The U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps, and of course the group I am with now. I love drumming and performance in general.

And what about your family life?

I am very blessed to be married to my best friend Colleen. This year we are excited to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. She is longsuffering and a Saint for putting up with my antics that long! We have two wonderful boys, Andrew (23) and Nicholas (7). Yes, Nick was a surprise "package" later in life!

I am proud and honored to serve alongside my son Andrew in the Army with the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps - we are both snare drummers. He auditioned and was accepted into the Fife and Drum Corps in 2005 after he graduated high school. He is an exceptionally talented musician – and – artist. In his off time he is pursuing an art degree at the Art Institute of Washington.

Editor's Pick #1

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

Staying in and eating, some of my favorite past times! LOL! I always enjoy a good comedy like The Great Outdoors or Christmas Vacation and on the flip side a good zombie movie! I like to stay diverse! As for food... meat, meat and more meat... sorry vegans! A good steak, baked potato, and salad. When on a limited budget, a hamburger topped with blue cheese will suffice!

But seriously, for the most part you'll find me with a cup of coffee and my laptop in front of the TV, working on an image and watching a Discovery Channel show. Nothing special, nothing glamorous!

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

The pastime I enjoy the most is camping with the family. We own a camper and make good use of it for most of the year. It allows us to get away from the grind of daily life and reconnect with each other… relax a bit. I have always enjoyed woodworking, but haven't had much time for it lately with a busy work performance schedule and pursuing my photography more seriously.

If you look at some of my photos on Flickr you might see a repeating railroad theme. I have had a longtime love of trains and railroading. My affection for trains married with a passion for photography has afforded me a unique opportunity to enjoy two of my favorite pastimes simultaneously. I have found photographing trains is unique and challenging… capturing an elusive moving subject… creating an interesting and pleasant photo from a theme that is anything but beautiful. It is kind of like industrial wildlife photography!

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

I have been interested in photography for about 39 years after my mother purchased me my first 110 instamatic and enrolled me in a photography class at our local recreation center. I was about 7 years old. My aunt was also a photo enthusiast and encouraged me with learning B&W developing and printing.

It wasn't until I took over as Public Affairs Supervisor with the Army Fife and Drum Corps that my passion for the art was re-ignited. The Fife and Drum Corps is a very unique group and my newly appointed position on the public affairs team offered me an opportunity to introduce a bit photojournalism into their program.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

I love all types of photography and really love telling a story through the lens. So with that, it doesn't really matter what I am taking photos of. I find interest and beauty in everything. I would like to keep it that way. From time to time I look back though my portfolio to see where my photographic trends are and find that I do tend to capture a lot of shapes within architecture. In high school I thought of pursuing architecture as a profession, perhaps that's why I am drawn to the shapes.
    Lately I have been doing more rural decay exploration with my close friend, attempting to offer a glimpse into a forgotten side of the human condition. Some of these photos have allowed me to tell a very moving story about what life was.

It is interesting that lately, in anything I do, I am finding myself looking into life “through the viewfinder”. The things we encounter daily have much to offer visually… it can tell a story. It has made me appreciate the details in life, both large and small.

Any particular photographic influences?

I think I am inspired most by Ansel Adams, not just by his images, that's a given, but I think more by his philosophy on photography and life in general. Once you get to the core of what drives your artistic nature and vision, the photography comes almost naturally as a byproduct. I am a huge believer in visualization for everything I do in life and I find it integral in many of my successes. If you take your goal and can see the procedural steps through in vivid detail, then the process of actually doing it will be almost second nature. As Adams says, "To visualize an image (in whole or in part) is to see clearly in the mind prior to exposure, a continuous projection from composing the image through the final print."

Flickr has also been a huge influence as there is no lack of inspiration to get me to pick my camera up and get out and shoot. There are some phenomenal artists out there.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

Inspire others first and foremost. I strive to make each of my photographs meaningful to the viewer. I love the Adams quote: “When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.” Powerful. That is what I want to achieve.

My long term goal is to pursue photography professionally after I retire from the military in four or five years. There is much to plan and even a greater amount to learn. Hopefully I am on my way… I am excited to report the first sale of my prints and later this year will be doing some freelance event and wedding work.

What you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

CiC is a really great site and it has much to offer photographers of all proficiency levels. I personally enjoy the competitions. The mini-competitions are always a lot of fun and I have started participating in the monthly themed challenges. I am looking forward the new post-processing challenges!

For me, I would like to see some weekly photo challenges added. Perhaps themed - or at least with some specific guidelines for capture. It would help fill the gap between the short mini’s and longer monthly’s. It would give me more of a consistent challenge to get out and capture photos that I might not normally consider taking.

Overall, the site is great and offers a lot. My hat is off to all those who dedicate their time to making it a great photographic resource online.

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

Absolutely not a thing! Sorry to disappoint! My work has me up each day at 4AM so by the time evening rolls around, I am ready to bunk down.

Editor's Pick #2

I have to ask this…. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

I am shooting with a Canon EOS 50D and a 28-135mm lens. I just obtained a tripod for Christmas consisting of Induro legs and a Manfrotto ball head. I really love both. I also own a really long wish list of camera gear! [smirks] Does that count?

I am not a gear-head… there are a few items I still need to obtain, but I purchase out of necessity. I look to exhaust the possibilities with a particular setup before moving onto new challenges with new equipment. I’ll attack that wish list over time [wink].

I have though built some of my own home-studio equipment and am in the process of practicing and exploring controlled lighting. A few construction lights and custom built softbox screens have served me well.

I edit using Photoshop CS4 and just recently started using Nik Software's suite of products. I absolutely love Silver Efex Pro! After listening to the amount of photographers that use Adobe Lightroom, I thought I would have a go of it with a trial download, but just can’t seem to warm up to the interface. Working with Photoshop for years has perhaps made me a creature of habit.

It’s a tough one to answer, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

On a scale of 1 to 10, maybe a 5. I feel I am comfortably on my journey. I don't think any of us should ever be at a 10, if you know what I mean. Looking around the web, especially at CIC, I see the work of some phenomenal amateur photographers and I am challenged daily. I have my work cut out!

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

Believe it or not I think photography, like many things today, will take a look back and revisit what was great about the art. You are seeing it now with re-engineering of view finder cameras like the Leica. Hopefully there will be a resurgence of film. And yes… I will definitely own one!

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

I guess I am. I love to share my passions, whether music, woodworking, or photography. My wife always says I'll talk to anyone who will listen! We have a small group of friends who enjoy getting together for photowalks, outings, and good hearted challenges. We all encourage each other and are always willing to have a new person join us to share our art.

Another tough one for you…do you consider photography to be art?

Absolutely. Although photography is a fairly new medium when compared to painting, it still offers a vehicle by which to express yourself. Beyond the "snapshot" lies an endless road of self expression.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

If you mean of myself, well, let's say I prefer photos of others ;-). I do like photos that I get to share a snap with my wife, boys or my friends. Those photos serve a purpose... a memory that I can draw back on.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Enjoy it and never stop learning. It is YOUR self-expression. Sure, there are the nuts and bolts of learning the behind the scenes stuff... like depth of field, shutter speed, and the ever-so-daunting leap of shooting in manual mode... but the nice thing about cameras today is that a virtual beginner can jump right in and start making beautiful and meaningful photos. Get out there and shoot every day, you’ll learn by doing.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

Shot 1:The Ruddle Boys

Although just a "snapshot" (captured with a 10 sec delay from the hood of the car) this is one of my favorites. In addition to my wife, of course, my two boys are my life... my inspiration. The joy and happiness they bring is more than a father could hope for. This photo continually brings me to a happy place, a place where all that is good resides.

Shot 2: Freedom's Price

I drive by Arlington National Cemetery everyday to and from work. I am reminded daily of the dedication, commitment, and gift of service that is epitomized by those little white stones. It is unfathomable. This photo, depicting a virtual sea of headstones, should serve as a reminder for what all Americans cannot forget. I am able to freely share my words here because of the service and sacrifice of those men and women.

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

Wow… where do I start. I have had the honor of performing for 5 U.S. Presidents and many foreign Heads of State, including Queen Elizabeth and Boris Yeltsin (of course not at the same time – LOL!). I’ve spilled a beer on General Colin Powell and lived to tell about it. Hmmm… been married for 25 years to the same person. Now, that has to be weird!

That's all we have time for, Richard. Thank you for taking the time to talk to CiC.

Thank you. I enjoyed sharing a little bit about myself with the community and look forward to continued participation in all CiC has to offer.

Click here to find the full list of interviews conducted in this 'In conversation with ...' series.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: In conversation with ..... Richard Ruddle

Well, I for one have enjoyed having you on this forum...love your trains and shots at Arlington and truly hope to see where you expand to as your work progresses. Safe travels to you in your photo sojourns and what great kids...do take care of them, first and foremost.

rob marshall

Richard

I must confess that I'm a little shocked. You come across as a very well-adjusted, sane, happy, content, balanced individual. I didn't think there was anyone like that left in the world. Maybe I'm a little envious... A very good read, and thanks for doing the piece.

Real Name
    Dr Nasseem Michael Malouf

Richard nice to meet you. Love your trains and may we see more of them.

Nasseem

Real Name
    Mike

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Richard. A very interesting, thoughtful conversation.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by mk00 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts Richard. A very interesting, thoughtful conversation.
    Agree Thank you

Notts/Derbys border - some call it the M1
    Real Name
    Mark

Really enjoyed the conversation. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Thanks for sharing! What a great story you have. I love your pictures. Most of all, thank you (and your son) for your service to our country.

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks Richard. You sound a very happy, contented man and you have had an interesting life to date. I am sure your new directions in retirement will only add to all you have done an bring more enjoyment. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Paul

Very nice to meet you Richard. It is nice to have a sense of the individual behind the camere when viewing the photos of which I have enjoyed yours.

I have found photographing trains is unique and challenging… capturing an elusive moving subject… creating an interesting and pleasant photo from a theme that is anything but beautiful. It is kind of like industrial wildlife photography!
    I like that. Good to hear from you Richard another excellent interview.

You come across as a very well-adjusted, sane, happy, content, balanced individual. I didn't think there was anyone like that left in the world.
    He said that about me....he's Welsh you know

Wow, Richard! You and your men would fit RIGHT in with mine. They absolutely love meat and trains!

It sounds like you have a lot of fun with your small group of friends. Super!

Real Name
    John

Hi Richard,

More comments to follow, but regarding your 25th anniversary and I am sure it's already on your playlist, "Remember When" by Alan Jackson. As a photographer I am sure you have many captured memories to compile with this song as a theme.

Real Name
    Richard Ruddle

Thank you all for you kind warm comments. It was truly my pleasure to do the interview. Donald does a great job bringing together the community with these spotlights. Thanks Donald. I have truly enjoyed being part of the CiC community and thoroughly enjoyed everyone's creativity and expression through their photographs. It inspires me on a daily basis.

@ Rob - So, did I dissapoint? LOL!
    @ Shadowman - I will have to listen to that song. Thanks for the recommendation
    @Katy - I will think of your tribe next time I go out!
    @Everyone - Thank you very much. I am blessed to call you all friends in photography!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Well done, Richard. It reads really well.

Real Name
    Kay

Thanks for sharing Richard - I really enjoyed reading about you - I work with 2 guys who are ex-Army Brass Band Men, who are now a Trumpet & Saxophone/Clarinet Teacher respectively....need i say more