Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First try at candid

Real Name
    Paul

First try at candid

I was itching to try out the new 50mm prime I picked up yesterday so off I went after work. Notice in the first shot my reflection in the glass, shooting from my waist. I know I would like to get more shots of faces and expressions but all C&C is welcome.

First try at candid

Do boys ever just walk? I think not.
    First try at candid

And just because the chickens like me lately. Check out the head feathers, and the balls hanging in the window.
    First try at candid

Real Name
    Chris

Re: First try at candid

Just me, but I think I might go for areas with less clutter, more human interest...like a park. I love my 50mm...I shoot almost everything with it these days.

Real Name
    Paul

I agree Chris, I can see the first photo everything competes. The 50mm is a fun little lens, I am sure it will be one of my favorites.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Paul,

I am with Chris here, although #2 is getting there. I assume you felt more comfortable to pose this shot as they were looking away from you. #3 needs a polariser to cut the glare but there needs to be a statement in the shot and not just taking a shop window. If there were patterns, fill the frame with colours of fabrics or spices in a basket in a market, etc. The other is to use a shop window to frame a reflection juxtaposed with the shop and its merchandise to make some type of statement.

With #1 I assume you shot from the hip so as not to be seen photography the people. The problem is you have a seriously crooked horizon. Try going to a small busy laneway (you saw my recent shots) where there are many people and everyone is talking photos and trying to capture the atmosphere. There you are not pointing your camera at any one person so they cannot complain. The trick is to find the right balance of people in the foreground middle ground and background to compliment the image. Take up a position, wait a minute until everyone ignores you and you are free to shoot.

Real Name
    Paul

Thank you Peter, that will help for sure. This spot was real close to home and I was short on time. I hope to go into the city soon and shoot the market. The tips you have went over here will help. That last shot was just for laughs, seems the chickens are following me......gues I am going to have to invite them to dinner.

Real Name
    Peter

I have seen some docos on Seattle around the music scene, etc so there should be some neat lanways and markets. I look forward to seeing these.

Real Name
    Paul

I have some ideas in mind when the storms stop and the people come out of hiding....stay tuned.