Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Macro improved

Real Name
    Dr Nasseem Michael Malouf

Macro improved

Macro of a fly taken with Canon Macro 100 mm f2.8 with extension tubes. C&C please

Macro improved

Real Name
    Raylee

Re: Macro improved

Nasseem

You might be interested in the photography of Thomas Shahan. It looks like you are on the way to following him.

I won't try to critique your photo on this monitor.

R

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    Nasseem

You might be interested in the photography of Thomas Shahan. It looks like you are on the way to following him.

I won't try to critique your photo on this monitor.

R

Well Raylee this is my first successful attempt at super Macro. I love the final result but would love to hear from other members. Yes, I have seen Thomas's photostream and if mine are anywhere near as good as his Ill be a very happy macrophotographer. Its hard to love the subject matter ie the head of a fly but one can only be fascinated by revealing those secrets: the perfect colour combinations, the intricate structure compound eyes, mandibles, wings etc. Natures full of wonders and I feel sorry for people who cant see and worse still are not interested in any of it.

Nasseem

Real Name
    Chris

I like it that you were able to get that intensely close, but think in doing so, you set up the perfect opportunity to oversaturate the color becuase there isn't a lot of room to spread the pixels out for a more even distribution of color range. I might suggest a lesser intensity of light source...perhaps a more reflected fill light would be enough to still capture the image but not enough to cause such a garish light resposne.

That's one really ugly bug!

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by maloufn View Post
    Well Raylee this is my first successful attempt at super Macro. I love the final result but would love to hear from other members. Yes, I have seen Thomas's photostream and if mine are anywhere near as good as his Ill be a very happy macrophotographer. Its hard to love the subject matter ie the head of a fly but one can only be fascinated by revealing those secrets: the perfect colour combinations, the intricate structure compound eyes, mandibles, wings etc. Natures full of wonders and I feel sorry for people who cant see and worse still are not interested in any of it.

Nasseem
    If this is your first attempt, then the sky's the limit! I love this sort of photography even though I hate spiders etc when I see them. The macro work shows them in a light that removes them from my phobias. I find them fascinating as macro subjects.

It seems that Thomas Shahan uses focus stacking on his macros. This makes sense given the limited depth of field. It also requires a lot of patience!

R

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    I like it that you were able to get that intensely close, but think in doing so, you set up the perfect opportunity to oversaturate the color becuase there isn't a lot of room to spread the pixels out for a more even distribution of color range. I might suggest a lesser intensity of light source...perhaps a more reflected fill light would be enough to still capture the image but not enough to cause such a garish light resposne.

Thank you Chris. I did add a lot of contrast but not so much saturation in PP. As for the light I used a flash
    but without a
    proper diffuser (used an omnibounce plastic cover for the flash). I will change that now that I got my real
    diffuser. Strangely I love the colours in it!!! I am absolutely chuffed with the results. You have no idea how
    I felt yesterday capturing these 4 different bugs without a tripod. I felt I won the lottery.

Well Chris at least I am a step closer to the real thing.
    Your advice is much appreciated and I thank you.

Nasseem
    Last edited by maloufn; 10th March 2011 at 08:15 AM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    If this is your first attempt, then the sky's the limit! I love this sort of photography even though I hate spiders etc when I see them. The macro work shows them in a light that removes them from my phobias. I find them fascinating as macro subjects.

It seems that Thomas Shahan uses focus stacking on his macros. This makes sense given the limited depth of field. It also requires a lot of patience!

R
    Raylee this is not a spider but a fly. I thought Id water a section of my garden on the day. All of a sudden I had a flux of beautiful small flies resting on these leaves drinking and taking in the sun. They were having a ball and I, to say the least, enjoyed shooting them. Yes, Thomas does do focus stacking which is very hard to do with jumping insects. If you are lucky to get one to stay still for long enough then you will have the perfect opportunity. None of mine were focus stacked by the way so there is room for improvement particularly with a diffuser and the flash placed in the right place.

Nasseem

Real Name
    Bill S

You say this is a hand-held shot? What flash was used? What other technical specs can you share?

- Bill

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    You say this is a hand-held shot? What flash was used? What other technical specs can you share?

- Bill
    Hi Bill As described above I used a 100mm Macro on extension tubes (32mm) with a 580 ex2 flash on the camera with an omnibounce diffuser. It was hand held but they were behaving well drinking from the watered leaves. I did not focus stack at all- something I should do if they stay still for long enough. This is very dificult photography
    and it is your luck on the day. I was very lucky then. I might not get the same opportunity for a while. Try watering your garden on a hot day and sit back and see what comes around. I hope that helps. Nasseem

Can't see the pic thanks to the firewall at work but I would warn against handheld focus stacks.....a trained eye often sees missing bits of focus in many of them, even when only displayed at screen resolution.

They might look pretty from a distance but handheld stacks rarely hold up to close inspection.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Can't see the pic thanks to the firewall at work but I would warn against handheld focus stacks.....a trained eye often sees missing bits of focus in many of them, even when only displayed at screen resolution.

They might look pretty from a distance but handheld stacks rarely hold up to close inspection.
    THis was not focus stacked anyway. I really havent tried handheld focus stacking yet but I take your point. It must be so difficult even with stationary specimens let alone jumping critters.

Nasseem

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post

Chris I tried to reduce contrast somewhat. Is there anyy improvement??

Macro improvedMacro improved

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Excellent first attempt, wonderful composition, colour, great focus and good depth of field. The reduction in contrast in the amended picture saves the image somewhat. However the highlights are still blown out (the hairs on the face and the face in front of the eye in particular). I suspect you will have much better results with the diffuser. Insects are highly reflective so care is needed with the lighting

Very impressive otherwise

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Excellent first attempt, wonderful composition, colour, great focus and good depth of field. The reduction in contrast in the amended picture saves the image somewhat. However the highlights are still blown out (the hairs on the face and the face in front of the eye in particular). I suspect you will have much better results with the diffuser. Insects are highly reflective so care is needed with the lighting

Very impressive otherwise
    Thank you Trevor. I am glad you can see the positive side of the capture. So the change in contrast helped a little. I cant wait to try my diffuser and also as Chris suggests may be with less intensity of flash light.

Nasseem

Real Name

This little critter is 8 mm long and no more than 2 mm wide. Shot with macro 100 with tubes flash and diffuser. My shots dont seem to be popular. Id love to know why. C& C please.

Macro improved

Real Name
    Bill S

Nasseem,

I definitely understand how you feel about your shots not being popular. I think that not a lot of people really like seeing bugs close up. I for one do like them. I'm a definite fan!

I was wondering - how much cropping do you do on these shots?

- Bill

Real Name
    Will

Nasseem,
    This second one really caught my eye, the only problem is you didn't catch the fly's eye, in focus that is.

-Sonic

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Yes, it is my sad experience that while people will say 'great shot' that never (well, rarely) makes any macro shot a winner in an 'open' competition.

I think to win, an image has to hold the viewer's attention and also be of a subject they can relate to and want to look at often - explaining why landscapes and cute animal or kids pix often win.

Compared to those; something that is fascinating, but you wouldn't want physically touching you, has an inbuilt aversion factor.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Yes, it is my sad experience that while people will say 'great shot' that never (well, rarely) makes any macro shot a winner in an 'open' competition.

I think to win, an image has to hold the viewer's attention and also be of a subject they can relate to and want to look at often - explaining why landscapes and cute animal or kids pix often win.

Compared to those; something that is fascinating, but you wouldn't want physically touching you, has an inbuilt aversion factor.
    Yes I can understand that Dave but people dont realize how hard it is technically to capture a little critter like this. It is easy to say this or that is not in focus but try and focus on something that is constantly moving jumping hand held. Id love people to try it. Its an experience. Neverthe less, I think we could be inspired by the colours and structures of such despised creatures like flies.

Nasseem

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic4Spuds View Post
    Nasseem,
    This second one really caught my eye, the only problem is you didn't catch the fly's eye, in focus that is.

-Sonic
    Yes Will I wish the eyes were in focus but then I probably would have lost focus in the lower part ie the legs which to me make this picture.

Nasseem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast