Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lightroom Really Worth it...?

Lightroom Really Worth it...?

So getting to try Lightroom out I found the set up was extremely easy, and easy pleasing. The combination of the image browser and editor was done quite well...

I'm only gripe is being I'm on four-year-old laptop, this app is definitely above and beyond what my hardware can offer (but that's similar to any other adobe apps from CS3+)

After a day or two messing around with a few photos, (and the hour plus of an import or "categorizing") left me with one or two confusions on if I saved that last move of the slider. Another fresh day and crack at Lr, I found a few weren't changed, or were but were not coming up in Ps when I opened it with the RAW Editor. I eventually grew frustrated and just opened the original photo in Ps.

Another day or two later I open Lr. The catalog is empty, still the same title but no photos, nothing, I try reopening it, closing opening... I'm not about to import the whole slew of shots again.

Is it due to a heavy app running on a slow machine, or am I not alone with enjoying Ps and it's RAW Editor over Lr?

Re: Lightroom Really Worth it...?

Quote Originally Posted by KicknGuitar View Post
    So getting to try Lightroom out I found the set up was extremely easy, and easy pleasing. The combination of the image browser and editor was done quite well...

I'm only gripe is being I'm on four-year-old laptop, this app is definitely above and beyond what my hardware can offer (but that's similar to any other adobe apps from CS3+)

After a day or two messing around with a few photos, (and the hour plus of an import or "categorizing") left me with one or two confusions on if I saved that last move of the slider. Another fresh day and crack at Lr, I found a few weren't changed, or were but were not coming up in Ps when I opened it with the RAW Editor. I eventually grew frustrated and just opened the original photo in Ps.

Another day or two later I open Lr. The catalog is empty, still the same title but no photos, nothing, I try reopening it, closing opening... I'm not about to import the whole slew of shots again.

Is it due to a heavy app running on a slow machine, or am I not alone with enjoying Ps and it's RAW Editor over Lr?
    Your import settings may be set wrong, I would suggest checking those next time you try to throw a few images at it.

I don't quite understand what your other problems are so... maybe someone else can help.

may I recommend the following : check out Scott Kelby's book on LR2...
    it might be just a rehash of the LR documentation, but at least it's got a bunch of examples, etc....

http://www.kelbytraining.com/product...ographers.html

I am sure you can check it out at your local bookstore, and it's also available on safari...

I love Lightroom, and I suggest that you get hold of The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book by Martin Evening. Just out and it contains 624 pages of everything there is to know about Lightroom, he was one of the creators. Have no idea how much as I have a complimentary copy.

Real Name
    Hans

I'm using Lightroom from the introduction.
    first it was installed on a pc pentium 4 with 2 G ram.
    This configuration was not strong enough to let Lighrtroom run smoothly.
    I faced lots of problems and overheating CPU. This was switching of the PC intermittent.
    Also the export tok quit long.
    Lightroom needs lot of CPU resources.

Last year I upgraded to a new mac and from then on it runs like hell.

The problesm you discribe could be caused because your hardware is somehow "outdated".

I would suggest to upgrade at least your CPU to at least Core dual type.

Also the book from Martin Evening is very good to have.