Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Picture framing

Picture framing

the title might not be exactly framing per say...
    basically, I like when web pics have this outer frame...Many of you use those (as seen for instance on the latest This Way to thread).

What do you guys use for that? I have Lightroom2 but haven't had the time really to play with it. although it seems the Print Tab has basically that kind of feature...
    I also bought CS4 but I am not even there yet...

Vincent

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Re: Picture framing

Vincent,

Did you mean "In the distance"? i.e. Mine?

yes, for instance...that was your post #41...John's first post was also another example, just not as elaborate...

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

In photoshop a simple way is to just extent the canvas size using whatever colour you want - for additional decorations just use a combination of the select tool and Edit -> Stroke (with feathering if required).

Colin,

it sounds like something described in the LR2 book by scott kelby's....now if I could avoid photoshop...:-)

Although I use a different programme from Colin the basics are similar. Expand the canvas size by your required dimensions, make sure it is in all directions, and fill the gap with a colour.

You can also create multiple lined frames by successive canvas increments of varying sizes to create a number of thick and thin lines which can have different colours. But don't forget that a white gap white will still need a space. And it is possible to have a wider gap or line at the sides or top etc.

But, if I'm not careful, it can become too complicated and my sanity starts to waver!

And don't overdo it. Sometimes the addition of a border can totally ruin the impact of the photo.

Hope this makes some sense. I'm already feeling confused just by talking about the subject!

Geoff.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Colin is correct. The only difference is that I use layers on most of the different steps i.e. the enlarge canvas is a whole new layer. Using layers also enables the layer style activation which has so many different variations that I just don't bother

Atvinnys

there is a free to download photoshop action on my website at http://web.mac.com/jwrevie/iWeb/West...20Actions.html
    the action you require is the "Matt Action"
    I hope this helps you
    have fun
    john

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Seems like you're a bit of an "action man" there John!

thanks guys for the info...I guess I'll need to finally open CS4 after all....