Thread: Macro lens for Sony SLT a55

Real Name
    Jayan

Macro lens for Sony SLT a55

I have Sony SLT a55 camera with me. I am planning to buy a macro lens DT 30mm F2.8 SAM (Macro) (SAL30M28). Just would like to know, expert's advise on this matter? I have never experienced with any macro photography yet.

Also a55 is comes with 18-55mm lens. Do I really need an extra wide angle lens?

Jayan - Bahrain

Re: Macro lens for Sony SLT a55

Hi Jayan,

The 30mm is perhaps a touch on the short side for a general use macro lens. Something in the region of 60mm to 100mm is perhaps a safer bet - the 30mm will mean getting very, very close to the subject which increases the chances of you scaring it off or casting a shadow on it.

Not sure how much it is but the Sony 100mm macro is very nice and the Tamron 90mm macro is well regarded and great value.

Real Name
    Jayan

Thank you very much Andy. I will try to get 100mm.

Do you have any idea about the wide angle lens I asked? SLT a55 is coming with 18-55mm lens. I hope 18 mm is quite ok for wide angle...isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by T S Jayan View Post
    Do you have any idea about the wide angle lens I asked? SLT a55 is coming with 18-55mm lens. I hope 18 mm is quite ok for wide angle...isn't it?
    18mm should indeed give you a nice wide angle. There's always ultra-wide lenses to buy later if you find 18mm isn't wide enough for you.

Real Name
    Jayan

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    18mm should indeed give you a nice wide angle. There's always ultra-wide lenses to buy later if you find 18mm isn't wide enough for you.

Andy..Thanks a lot for your kind advise.