Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sailing in the Fog

Real Name
    Rob Farnell

Sailing in the Fog

Hi,
    Thanks for viewing my pictures. Your comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Sailing races held in Clearwater, Florida

Thursday was a nice warm, clear day and as the temperature rose in the afternoon a fog developed over the cooler water. The small sail boats practicing for the races this weekend found themselves going in and out of a thick fog bank. I thought it was an interesting scene with the blue water, the sail boats in the fog and the blue sky.

Rob
    022311_4689b.jpg

022311_4690b.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    John

Re: Sailing in the Fog

I was going to make a comment about the Bermuda Triangle but realized you are near the northwestern edge of the state. Overall they are nice images but not very sharp, did you use a panning technique to keep up with the movement?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Compositionally, I much prefer #2. In #1, everything is too centred. The fog plays a much clearer role in #2 and contributes to the mood and atmosphere. I don't see any lack of sharpness, as John refers to, as a problem at all in this.

I haven't a clue what or why, but it evokes some sort of childhood memory in me, even though I was more of a farmer than a fisherman and have never sailed. Don't know what it is. The fresh air? Being outside?

But I really, really like #2. A lovely balance of colour and tone.

Real Name
    Yegor

The sky beautiful, but more important is the water. I would stop on such version - more waters... ( leave the sky to birds) /////

Sailing in the Fog

My first thoughts, Rob, were to crop the first photo a bit tighter. But I think I might try something slightly different from Yegor's example.

Possibly leave that interesting sky as it is but reduce the sea a bit and ignore the right hand boat, which appears to be going in a different direction anyway. If necessary, I would consider changing the aspect ratio to fit, maybe try 5 x 4 ratio.