Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Architecture attempt

Real Name
    Mario

Architecture attempt

I took a photo earlier this month of our Historic Courthouse building. Evansville has a lot of German roots though it's changed a bit over the years.

I think this image is good quality but does it work compositionally? What could I do better? Any c&c you have to offer is much appreciated.

Architecture attempt
    Last edited by Mario Xavier; 26th February 2011 at 06:47 AM.

Re: Architecture attempt

i like the angle. but i wish there was more in the picture. like the top of the dome. and not have the dome to the right of the picture cut off. its a pretty good shot imo though

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

It is a shame you missed the top of this fantastic building. I think too a shot with more of the building in it would have been better, however not knowing the circumstances it may not have been possible to achieve. You might try a tad more sharpening too. A good image none the less.

Real Name
    Will

I think if the scene had let you back up just a little, or you could have gone with a larger field of view with the picture it would have been better. Perhaps a slight crop on the left side (up to the junction of the roof of the wing and the center pile).

-Sonic

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Mario,

I think there are a number of shots here.

The full frame shoe, as mentioned above. I think the full frame shot might work very well in Portrait rather than Landscape format.

A close up of the top of the tower (where it rises from the main building.

A close up of the nice facade in front of the building.

Pick out details around the columns, windows etc. I think you could build a portfolio of shots to represent this building.

Given the height and angle of shooting this brings into play all those things we talked about in your post regarding cropping (or framing) in camera.

Real Name
    Mario

Thanks for the feedback guys! It gave me a lot to consider. The majority of the things didn't really bother me until you mentioned them. Like clipping the top of the building. Unfortunately I would have had to back into the street at the time but I think I could get it next time.

And Peter, thanks for the ideas! I think that would be a great exercise for me. I will do that on the next sunny day I have off.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Mario,

I like the compositiion (excepting the missing bits already mentioned) and the exposure looks good to.

It is soft though, but nothing some PP sharpening wouldn't solve (at least, it would work at this size) - part of this might be because you have inserted a 640px size, which suggests it might have been auto-generated, often the cause of soft pics IMHO.

Look forward to take 2 - may all your days off be sunny