Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Chop chop!

rob marshall

Chop chop!

Last week, it was forks... Rob's been at the medicine cabinet again...

I'd be too predictable to follow that with knives. But guess what? I'm predictable!

All shot with Canon 5DMk2 and Sigma 105mm macro. Studio lights and black perspex sheet for reflections. All processed using Silver Efex Pro in CS5.

Comments?

Chop chop!

Chop chop!

Chop chop!

Chop chop!

Chop chop!

Chop chop!

Chop chop!

Real Name
    Jeroen

Re: Chop chop!

It would be boring to comment "Great shot" again on your shots, but that's what comes to my mind immediately. I think the kitchen is a great habitat for you .

I like how in #2 the knife blade just disappears, but it would have been better if the entire blade reflection was visible.

In #5 I like the planes with different tones.

The background gradient in #7 does work very well. I think that bringing up this background gradient more in #5 would be good too.

I switched to Silver efex pro after you started the "Can you beat Silver efex pro" challenge and I'm very pleased with the amount of freedom it provides you in controlling tones and contrast. What version do you use?
    Last edited by JK6065; 21st February 2011 at 05:37 PM.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    I think the kitchen is a great habitat for you .
    Well, that's more than Kay can say

The background gradient in #7 does work very well.
    I cheated on that one. The base was a bit messy, so I selected it and applied a gradient layer of black to light grey. Worked quite well, I think.

I switched to Silver efex pro after you started the "Can you beat Silver efex pro" challenge and I'm very pleased with the amount of freedom it provides you in controlling tones and contrast. What version do you use?
    Version 1. Version 2 is out this week, I think.

Thanks for the comments.

All shot with Canon 5DMk2
    You don't have a 5DMk2 by any chance do you? I have been watching this bit of news being quietly ignored for a while. It goes to show you must be getting it right when people totally ignore your equipment only see the photograph

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW 5D MK2 ROB

Let me know when you get it out of green box mode and we will give you some top tips

Now this is all very nice but what about the shots....well the first disappointment is that I can't tell the difference between these and the ones shot with the 5D or the 50D. the good news is they are great. Film Noir and Et Tu are the picks for me

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Well, that's more than Kay can say :

I prefer to think of my reticence to enter the aforementioned domain as a community service

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    You don't have a 5DMk2 by any chance do you? I have been watching this bit of news being quietly ignored for a while. It goes to show you must be getting it right when people totally ignore your equipment only see the photograph
    Nah, I went into Office World and bought a white magic pen and scribbled 'MkII' after the '5D'

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Let me know when you get it out of green box mode and we will give you some top tips
    Actually it doesn't have Toy-Town modes on it just CA, P, then AV, T, M. It's for sophisticates, see... And no pop-up flash either.

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Nah, I went into Office World and bought a white magic pen and scribbled 'MkII' after the '5D'
    I did exactly the same with my Canon, only I got a yellow marker and wrote Nikon on it - people just weren't taking me seriously

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by bambleweeney View Post
    I did exactly the same with my Canon, only I got a yellow marker and wrote Nikon on it - people just weren't taking me seriously
    And lo, the war began!

All shot with Canon 5DMk2 ... And no pop-up flash either
    Why did they choose to drop the advanced features, he said enviously?
    Last edited by Donald; 21st February 2011 at 11:17 PM.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Why did they choose to drop the advanced features?
    I have never used the 'portrait' or 'landscape' modes etc. I've only ever used AV and Manual. I really can't see the point of them, unless you are starting out on photography. But then using them as a beginner isn't the best way to learn, is it? I suppose they think people buying the 5D are serious amateurs and have some experience. Pop-up flash isn't all that useful either. Although it's good if you turn the flash power down and use it for fill on flower shots outdoors.