Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I think I am ready for a longer lens...

Real Name
    Tim

I think I am ready for a longer lens...

I like the composition of this a lot, but I had to crop the picture so hard to get it. I know there are inexcusable sharpness issues, and I should have used a tripod, but had I got in closer optically, I think it would have worked a lot better. Not to mention that 200 mm just isn't enough for any but the most gregarious wildlife.

Real Name
    George Montgomery

Re: I think I am ready for a longer lens...

I've been in this situation a lot and would have loved a longer lens. Long lenses are too expensive for me to justify a purchase for infrequent use.
    Maybe the lighting was too harsh for this shot, as well.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by tameigh View Post

I like the composition of this a lot, but I had to crop the picture so hard to get it. I know there are inexcusable sharpness issues, and I should have used a tripod, but had I got in closer optically, I think it would have worked a lot better. Not to mention that 200 mm just isn't enough for any but the most gregarious wildlife.
    You can double your focal length for less than $300.00 with a bridge camera but you still need a tripod and you have to achieve this with digital zoom not optical zoom I'm afraid, so you will lose some quality. You could try a 2Xteleconverter but will lose a few f/stops.

Real Name
    Richard

I always loved long lenses...

I remember when, as a young man in the early 1950's when I longed for a super telephoto lens. I thought that if I could only afford one of those extremely expensive 135mm lenses, I could shoot anything in the world. However for many years, my 35mm photography was limited by a 50mm lens which was all I could afford.

Then I joined the Navy and became a photographer. I had access to thousands and thousands of dollars worth of professional equipment and a lot of film to shoot! No wonder I spent 32 years in the Navy!

The trouble with long lenses, Tim, apart from the price is that they require good light and clear air. If, for example, moisture in the air is causing a problem then the further away you are the worse the problem.

And more magnification means more risk of distortion. Also a big lens might only open up to F6.3 and be best around F11 which can limit the options in poor light.

So, as many people frequently advised previously, the best zoom is a pair of feet. But yes, I know, sometimes a pair of feet also need flippers or a very long ladder in order to get closer! And for those occasions a long lens is the only option.

For those situations, I use the Sigma 150-500 which I find to be a good lens; but subject to the previously mentioned restrictions.