Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tulips

Tulips

I took this last spring in Washington D.C. I think they're tulips, but correct me if i'm wrong. please comment and critique. Thanks.

Tulips

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Tulips

Yes Eamonn they are tulips and a nice colour as well.

You have focused on the correct on in the middle but the viewer seeks out the brighest and sharpest spot in an image. In this case the background is too bright and large and keeps attracting my attentions. Also there is nothing of interest in the background to compliment the scene and it fills the bottom half of the image.

If you cropped the image in half and kept the top half I think if would be a much stronger shot.

Peter's comments are virtually the same as I was thinking. Photographing flowers is never as easy as it sounds. You have to consider the background as much as the main subject.

I often find that I have to do quite a bit of preparation work and remove or bend out of the way any background problems. And far too often I still miss something.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Yes Eamonn they are tulips and a nice colour as well.

You have focused on the correct on in the middle but the viewer seeks out the brighest and sharpest spot in an image. In this case the background is too bright and large and keeps attracting my attentions. Also there is nothing of interest in the background to compliment the scene and it fills the bottom half of the image.

If you cropped the image in half and kept the top half I think if would be a much stronger shot.
    Tulips

I have mentioned what I have termed three dimensional composition on CIC before. It really is quite difficult to think about composing in 2 dimensions and also think about the 3rd dimension at the point of capture. The first image does not work because the 3rd dimension of composition provides a confusing image. Peter and Geoff have given a possible solution above which provides a much more pleasing image but you are stuck with the blur at the lower right of the image.

This will come with time. Working with shallow DoF and creating good compositions depthwise is a skill that comes with plenty of practise and a lot of uming and arring before hitting the shutter. It will become second nature but (depending on the light available) the DoF preview may help a little. There is also a little green alien bottom centre. A good tip for moving these unwnated intrusions is to carry a of womens tights (pantyhose in USA I think). These are soft enough to tie plants back out of the way without causing damage. And..if you need to rob a couple of banks for your next lens...Bobs your Uncle.