Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ultra-Wide Angle Lens For Nikon

Ultra-Wide Angle Lens For Nikon

Currently scrounging around used sites for a decent ultra wide angle. Choice so far:

Tokina 12-24 @ £300
    Sigma 10-20 @ £330 (new form Amazon uk)
    Tokina 11-16 @ £ I'm not eating for the rest of the month.

I'm tempted by the used Tokina due to the IQ and the easy to correct distortion, but the Sigma is new for a similar price and has 2 extra mm. Tokina is also a touch faster, but probably not an issue with what I plan to take with it...

Pixel for your thoughts?

Plus if anyone can recommend a decent used camera exchange site/forum, I'd be rather grateful.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: UWA For Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
    Currently scrounging around used sites for a decent ultra wide angle. ....what I plan to take with it...

Pixel for your thoughts?

Plus if anyone can recommend a decent used camera exchange site/forum, I'd be rather grateful.
    I wonder what you are going to do?? I have seen so many good landscape photographers **** their work up with UWA, tho our Colin here is an exception.

There is usually some 2nd hand stuff on Birdforum & WorldPhotographyForum (whence I am banished ) and also WildAboutBritain

Hi Mossy

I have a Sigma 10-20mm and I'm very happy with it. I use it with a Nikon D300. The lens is also discussed on this forum:
    http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/Commun...opic-id=149679.
    Also, there is a comprehensive review here:
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Si...mm-f4-56-EX-DC
    Both links are worth a look.
    Good luck with your choice.
    Tony

Having seen some images from wide angles, I guess I just prefer the different perspective... Plus, my kit lens has awful distortion that's really hard to correct on the wide end, so I figured I might try a proper wide angle lens.

Hi Mossy,
    Me too I've been looking for an ultra-wide recently for my Canon.
    I ended up deciding on the Sigma 10-20, however I'm trying to buy used since prices here are phenomenal (compared to US or UK)
    Also, my XSI has a 1.6x crop factor, so the extra mm on the sigma helps. However, it doesn't fit on Full Frame Canons (I don't know about Nikon (?))

You've asked for a exchange site here you go (it's Trade & Sell) :
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10
    You have to subscribe (25$/year) to post an offer,
    looking around is free. I suggest you to bookmark the link, because for some reasons, you can't directly access this section by the homepage, you have to access via google. Plus, there are tons of new offer every day.

More Sigma samples here : http://www.motleypixel.com/reviews/i...0EX%20DC%20HSM

Tell me if you make any decision.

Real Name
    Chris

... my kit lens has awful distortion that's really hard to correct on the wide end, so I figured I might try a proper wide angle lens.
    not sure which kit lens you have, but the 18-135 that came with my D80 is an extremely good one down to 18 if necessary, the one fault being vignette over 105/wider than f 7.1. I think later kits were limited to 105.

Distortion and vignette are easily corrected by tools in NX2, the distortion I think in most good PP packages. The barrel distortion is going to arise on all lenses, however good, as an optical fact of life. Keeping lens-camera near horizontal helps limit and correct.

One of the reasons UWA are popular is that you achieve far greater DOF. What you don't achieve is the same density of information as if stitching 2 or more shots with more normal lenses.

But go and have some fun Mossy!

Currently scrounging around used sites for a decent ultra wide angle. Choice so far:
    Sigma 10-20 @ £330 (new form Amazon uk)
    Hi Mossy ,
    Two months back I rented a Sigma 10-20 for my vacation from borrowlenses.com.
    The loved the results I got, So my pick would be Sigma 10-20..

Some samples from my collection.
    Pic1
    Pic2
    Pic3
    Pic4

~Ajith

stunning pics ajith!!

going to see the seller for the sigma 10-20 this afternoon.. hope it will be in decent condition

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrize View Post
    stunning pics ajith!!

going to see the seller for the sigma 10-20 this afternoon.. hope it will be in decent condition
    Thanks ..
    Expecting pics from your new lens soon..

Re: Ultra-Wide Angle Lens For Nikon

Eating is over rated!

I use a 10 - 20 Sigma on a Canon, very pleasing results.

I notice another website has collapsed the 10 - 20 image gallery has disappeared today, they had some inspirational work with the 10 -20 lens.

Lincs1

I went for the tokina 12-24 in the end. I got it the other day and it's built like a brick. Haven't had a chance to shoot much with it yet, but will post some results when I do.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Lincs1 View Post
    I use a 10 - 20 Sigma on a Canon, very pleasing results.

I notice another website has collapsed the 10 - 20 image gallery has disappeared today, they had some inspirational work with the 10 -20 lens.

Lincs1
    I have the Sigma as well, and love it. Great lens.

From my limited experience using a Sigma 10-20mm on my Nikon I can only agree that it gives very good results in my opinion.
    Its fun to use too!

I went for the tokina 12-24 in the end. I got it the other day and it's built like a brick. Haven't had a chance to shoot much with it yet, but will post some results when I do.

Any samples yet?

~Ajith

Real Name
    Ian

Read good reports of the Sigma 10-20 for crop sensor camera.

I use a Nikon 14-24 and find it does everything beautifully. It is fantastic in tight situations or where the perspective demands it though.

Unless I was wanting to create a deliberate fish eye look, I wouldn't want to use anything much lower as the distortion would be too great. (and never use it for faces unless it is intentional!)
    Last edited by shreds; 8th April 2009 at 05:15 PM.