Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Workbook Photography

Workbook Photography

I need some advise. What is workbook fotography ?
    Is here somebody before take picture need workbook ?

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Workbook Photography

I see that there have been a lot of members look at this request but no reply.

I am not sure what you are asking. Can you possibly explain what you are trying to do with your photography and I will see if I can help?

But if I were to take a wild guess, I thought they might have meant a portfolio (and that got lost in translation)
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 15th February 2011 at 01:07 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I am not sure what you are asking.
    I think it is a query based on another members post in another thread Peter.

Best to ask them there I'd think Iwan, except now I can't remember who it was

Thank dave for your's answered. I know my questions not really clear. I try once again to explain it :

It is important that we understand the thought process !!!!!!

Your workbook (s) or sketches show how working smoothly, which experiments you have performed, what options you have tried and justify your choices in the process the end result. It can contain sketches, images

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Iwan, are you refering to taking notes on previous shots, i.e. notebook? I don't think anyone who uses digital equipment bothers any more, as the information is stored in the file itself.

Or do you mean a storyboard like they use to make films? I'm not sure that any "stills" photographer does this.

Real Name
    Debbie

Not sure I'm about to help, but I don't think the actual question has been determined....are you referring to this? :
    http://www.workbook.com/

Real Name
    Pops

It sounds to me as if he is describing a scientist's or researcher's workbook, documenting all the steps, processes and results of a research project.

Pops

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Maybe I can clarify with a description of what I'm doing at the moment.

I take a certain image with a certain idea in mind, print it out then think on how a subsequent re-imaging could take the idea further. As I do this, I make many pencil sketches that show how my finished image might look. Then I "build" my final image from multiple images taken with that final image in mind. The working drawings along with the developing image prints are called a Workbook.

Is this the type of thing you mean, Iwan?

When experimenting with a new procedure, or new software, etc, I certainly make notes about everything that I do. Including a lot of crossing out after an idea didn't work. I'm currently surrounded by pieces of paper which are my first stage 'How to do' reference files.

When I think that I understand a situation; ie I have a coherent workflow that
    I can repeat, I type it up and save in a reference folder plus a printed copy. And all too often, by the time I manage to fully understand a piece of software there is an updated version to try!

But forward planning is usually just a mental basic idea which gets adapted as I go forward and realise that my first thoughts just aren't possible. Maybe spending a little more time at the planning stage would work out quicker in the long run. If only, at that stage, I was certain about what I really wanted and what was possible.

Or to quote a friend from the building trade 'An hour's thinking and discussion before starting a job can often save several minutes of work' That's builders for you!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Iwanbogor View Post
    Your workbook(s) or sketches show how working smoothly, which experiments you have performed, what options you have tried and justify your choices in the process the end result. It can contain sketches, images
    Personally I don't do this (but probably should), while others have said they do.

Also, it does describe the process of carrying out tasks as maybe set as 'homework' from an educational course on say, photography, where you might need to show the lecturer what you have done and why.

Cheers,