Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First Reflection Shot - Redux

Real Name
    Chris

First Reflection Shot - Redux

Thanks, Jiro for reminding me to use a gray card - duh-uh...cannot believe I didn't do that the first time but I guess I got caught up in all the other preparations. I think this one is about 300% better and hope the next oen is 300% better than this one...this stuff is fun. I can see why Rob gets into it.

First Reflection Shot - Redux

Real Name
    Chris

Re: First Reflection Shot - Redux

Black Velvet is the trick to a hard black backdrop.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Black Velvet is the trick to a hard black backdrop.
    Hi Chris,

The other approach - if you can't reduce the reflectivity of the backdrop is to simply reduce the light falling on it by moving the illuminating lights further away from it.

Real Name
    Chris

I did both on this one..and my lights are quite far from the subject, though still at a 45 degree angle. I have one main at 60W and one fill at 40W incandescent. the 40 watter is about three feet away and is diffused with some tissue paper (probably a full stop of light). The main is almost 5 feet away and turned away from the subject, bouncing off a wall.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Nice! Very, very nice! Now, Rob has somebody to wrestle with regarding table top photography! Start saving for a speedlite! Job well done, Chris.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I did both on this one..and my lights are quite far from the subject, though still at a 45 degree angle. I have one main at 60W and one fill at 40W incandescent. the 40 watter is about three feet away and is diffused with some tissue paper (probably a full stop of light). The main is almost 5 feet away and turned away from the subject, bouncing off a wall.
    I find in the studio that you have to give a lot of consideration to not only how far away the lights are, but also where they're pointing. I have a couple of black curtains I draw along to stop stray light bouncing off white walls - the other useful thing to have is some flags (black panels) that you can position carefully to stop light hitting backdrops.

Real Name
    Paul

This one is very nice Chris.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Nice! Very, very nice! Now, Rob has somebody to wrestle with regarding table top photography! Start saving for a speedlite! Job well done, Chris.
    One of my students' father is an orthodontist and he donated me a ring light...I haven't looked yet to see if it will fit my lens.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

The color difference is amazing. There's so much to learn here.

Real Name
    Krisztina

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    I agree, very,very nice!

Real Name
    Martyn

nice picture Chris, was this one taken with black velvet BG ? there seems to be a reflection in the centre bottle, i cant make out what it is tho (i usually get me in glass reflections), one question is how do you use a grey card with flash ? i have one of those wibal plastic cards and if i try and take a reference pic it reflects , cheers martyn

Real Name
    Chris

I didn't use flash on this shot. This was a straight incandescent lighting array of a 40W and 60W bulb, one cool and one warm (it's what I had) in common reflectors. I did scrim the 40W with a sheet of tissue because it was closer to the glass and I couldn't get it back further. It worked...this time.

Ring light...quien sabe, I've never used one so not sure how it will or even if it will work. I am thinking it might work better with macro stuff.

And, for everyone who thinks Rob now has competition, I think Rob has forgotten more about this reflection shooting that I currently have a clue about, but it is nice to be thought about is such stellar company.

For this shot, I used a grey, white, black balancing set. The naughty little things don't like to stand up on the plastic, so I taped them together from the backside and laid them on a piece of black velcro to keep them in place in front of the bottles. Necessity really is the mother of invention.

Real Name
    Chris

Reflection is probably me and the camera...kind of hard not to get one of the two in the shot...but, I am working on that as well. I think Rob shoots from a higher angle than I did and like you have suggested, perhaps some darker screens around the object to ward off any intrusive color/shapes/objects. I did manage that on one wall and am thinking now to buy some black foamcore board and build a reflection box that is somewhat funnel shaped - still not sure how to get the camera out of the immediate scene short of really good cloning.