Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with ... Nasseem Malouf

©Image, Steve (Wirefox)

First Name: Nasseem
    Family Name: Malouf
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/54722736@N07/

CiC: Thanks very much for taking the time to talk to us today.

Thank you. It’s a privilege to be asked being such a new member.

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your back-ground. Your childhood. Where did you grow up? What about your work history? Anything interesting

I was born in Sydney Australia. I spent my first 10 yrs in outback Queensland. From very early on I was always interested in Nature's secrets: patterns/colours/structures and biodiversity. Nature taught me a great deal. I was wild - shooting slug guns, yabby hunting, horse riding, boxing and mustering cattle- anything but studying. My father saved the day by taking me to Lebanon when I was ten. Culturally, it was the best thing that ever happened to me but now I am torn between two countries I love.

I did my first six years of tertiary education at the American University of Beirut (BSc, MSc in Biological Sciences). Returned to Australia 1976 where I completed my PhD and degree in Human Nutrition. I then did postdoctoral research in Ottawa, Canada.

I presently work in Nutrition & Dietetics at a Diabetes Centre of a teaching hospital and in private practice dealing with our serious public health issues: obesity, diabetes, heart disease etc. Done some TV presenting, Radio Talkback and writing. I have authored a book ”Diabetes and the Metabolic Syndrome - Eating for prevention and Treatment” Publishers: New Holland.

And what about your family life?

I am married to “La Princesse” – feminine, beautiful but also strong. As Khalil Gibran author of “The Prophet” says: 2 pillars independent but supporting the same structure. I have two lovely children (18 & 21).

Editor's Pick

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

Favourite movie/TV: The Deer Hunter or Midnight Express and National Geographic/Discovery science and wildlife documentaries.

Favourite book: At the moment PS CS4 (exciting!!). Never been a novel reader however, I have always got a science book/article (The physics of light/ DOF etc) in my hand wherever I go even when I am at the gym running on a treadmill.

Favourite meal: Lebanese but I appreciate the best in all authentic cuisines (French, Italian, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian etc). I appreciate fresh ingredients and good presentation.

What other things fire your interest, apart from photography?

My wife and everything she does!!!, competition clay target shooting (NSW State champion twice), reading, keeping cardio vascularly fit and defying the laws of gravity, good food and wine, nice clothes, learning French to keep up with my wife who is fluent and the occasional concert/theatre outing.

Let's get on to photography. How long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

I am sure I was a photographer in a previous life. I’ve always used my hands to frame shots of interest. It could have been the light, the colour, composition, tones that I was naturally drawn to. My first camera was a Canon T70 back in the mid nineteen eighties. I bought my first Sony (Point & Shoot) around 2002. I then graduated to a Canon 450D to do photographs for my book in 2008. Finally, I got a Canon 50D in 2009. I had no formal training until 2008 when I did a few basic night courses.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

I am interested in all types of photography where the elements of a “good photograph” come together. I guess I’ve mostly done Macro (insects/flowers) only because I am interested in detail and always have been. I have spent many years using disecting microscopes identifying meiofauna (invertebrates) unseen by the naked eye. I would love to do wildlife/food/fashion. I guess only with time and experience will I find my speciality area.

Any particular photographic influences?

Looking at works from some of the masters: Adams, Cartier -Bresson, Capa etc one can only be inspired. Today, I am also inspired by photography sites, National Geographic programs, tutorials, courses, photography books. Recently, CIC feedback has been very encouraging. I have been dying to show some of my work and you have opened that door. I am slowly gaining confidence.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

I would like to leave a pictorial record of “my life with my family and friends”. I get a great deal of self satisfaction growing, improving my skills and expanding my horizons. I would love to do photography as part time work in due course. How? I don’t know yet. Maybe CIC members can help with some ideas!!!!

What do you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

Great site. Honest friendly members and moderators. I would like to see CIC encouraging/helping members setting up ways of making some financial returns on their efforts (setting up websites, marketing etc). CIC, dare I say, could even be an iStock site selling members photos!

I have difficulty keeping track of answers to posts. I believe that any answers to my posts should be linked to my “Notification Board” where I can go back to the thread in question. As it is I am not informed of any replies to my posts.
    I would also like to see “Competitions” as a separate submenu in “forums” and not as part of “Photo Commentary & Competitions” simply because no commentary is allowed in competitions.

What keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

Besides family/kids/finances and what cereal to have for breakfast, I spend my nights analysing/digesting what I read during the day in tutorials/books. I also seem to do a lot of my writing during my sleep!!! I wrote most of my PhD while asleep!!!

What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

Canon 50D (Digital SLR); Canon T70 (film), Canon Lens 50mm F1.4, Canon EFS lens 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM ; Canon Macro Lens EF 100mm f2.8 USM; Canon Zoom Lens EF 70-200mm f2.8 L USM; Kenko Extension Tube Set (12mm, 20mm 30mm); Manfrotto 190 XProB tripod with an 804RC2 Manfrotto head. I use ACR and PS CS4 for PP.

Editor's Pick

How would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

I am never good enough. The day I think I am is the day I am not trying hard enough. I would like people like yourself to tell me - and that is why I belong to CIC. They are a great bunch of guys who are hopefully open and honest in their criticism. I have a good grasp of the basic principles and that is what I go back to constantly and I am slowly building on that. I am a quarter way up the ladder at present.

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

It will be faster with a larger sensor, more auto focus points and most likely with higher resolution and combined audiovisual capacity. I just hope it gives us even more room for manipulating variables. Whatever, I’ll definitely have one.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

Yes, because I know their needs. I’ve been there. I am already teaching some friends the basics. Besides isn’t teaching the best way to learn?

Do you consider photography to be art?

Yes, by all means it is. Just like the painter uses colours etc to generate a painting, the photographer uses photographic elements to freeze a scene or capture a moment. In fact I was watching a slideshow today of a famous Iranian Realist painter called Iman Maleki entitled “Pics or Paintings”. Fantastic work. I couldn’t tell which was which.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

I have no problems however, I have very few good photos of myself and I wonder why?

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Keep clicking and constantly analysing your photos, but before that learn your camera gear inside out so it becomes second nature to you. Learn the fundamentals of photography. Take some courses and try to have a good understanding of those basics and then build upon that. It’s like me shooting 99/100 targets. I probably missed that one target because I ignored a basic fundamental rule- my feet being in the wrong position.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

1. Flight:

My first ever win in competition. That meant a lot to me and I thank you Donald, Dave Humphries and Peter Ryan for your constructive comments.

2. Colloroy Beach, Sydney.

My second ever win in competition.

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

I’ve always loved driving my car with my bike on the rack up the highway when everyone else was going to work in the opposite direction. I believe life is short. God knows I am in an industry that reminds me of that daily.

That's all we have time for Nasseem, but I want to thank you for taking the time to talk to CiC.

I hope I can learn from you guys (Donald, Dave, Colin, Peter, and members) and in turn inspire new members the way you have inspired me. Keep clicking and make every second count.

Click here to find the full list of interviews conducted in this 'In conversation with ...' series.

rob marshall

Re: In conversation with ... Nasseem Malouf

I’ve always loved driving my car with my bike on the rack up the highway when everyone else was going to work in the opposite direction. I believe life is short.

I love doing that too!

Very interesting Nasseem. Glad to see someone enjoying life, as you obviously do.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Nasseem,

Great interview - thanks for taking part!

By the way, it's easy to get an eMail notification of replies to threads that you want to track ... simply subscribe to the thread and ensure that eMail notification is turned on in the general settings of your account. Just let us know if you need help with this

Also, commentary in competitions is fine, but most prefer it to be after the competition has closed. We've looked at a variety of options, but haven't found the "perfect solution" yet, unfortunately

Slightly off topic, but human nutrition has always been somewhat of a "side interest" to me ... I've often thought the world would be a much happier place if we concentrated more on low glycemic index foods rather than low fat foods ... and yet glycemic indexes are NEVER printed on food labels. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this?

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks for taking part Nasseem, very interesting interview and a pleasure to get to know you better.
    Steve

Real Name
    Chris

Excellent knowledge and so much to share. After seeing the Colloroy beach shot, I now know where that idea came from...sorry, I wasn't copying, merely having a latent memory. Sounds like you are living the good life and it is somethingt we should all aspire to enjoy. Nice to know you.

Real Name
    Elise

Gotta love a man who's crazy about his wife . . . Very interesting intro to a very interesting member! I've admired your pictures, Naseem, and it's good to get a little background on the photographer. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Nasseem,

Great to learn more about you, and there's nothing like writing one of these to make you appreciate what others write/have written, as I expect you may find from now on

I agree, you gotta love that 'bucking the norm' thing when you take a day off work mid-week and are free to do as you please.

I hope we do see more of your photographic endeavours soon, until then ....

Hi, Nasseem! Like Elise, I've really admired and appreciated your photos and it's great to get to know you a bit more. Talk about an interesting and varied life....wow!

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Naseem,

Great interview. Now, I’m a diabetic - let’s talk. I appreciate your very open informative style and you sound like a man who has his life in order. You said you haven’t worked out your speciality interest yet but I feel you are developing ‘your style’ and you can bring that style to any subject matter – that is your way of expressing yourself and showing you family now an into the future your vision. Keep going.

I do love that shot titled Flight. I hope you have had it printed and hanging on your wall.

Real Name
    Dr Nasseem Michael Malouf

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    I love doing that too!

Very interesting Nasseem. Glad to see someone enjoying life, as you obviously do.
    Thank you Rob for all your help and comments. Have not got anything in the bank but Iam enjoying it. The motto is " Todays my last- enjoy it".

Nasseem

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Nasseem,

Great interview - thanks for taking part!

By the way, it's easy to get an eMail notification of replies to threads that you want to track ... simply subscribe to the thread and ensure that eMail notification is turned on in the general settings of your account. Just let us know if you need help with this

Also, commentary in competitions is fine, but most prefer it to be after the competition has closed. We've looked at a variety of options, but haven't found the "perfect solution" yet, unfortunately

Slightly off topic, but human nutrition has always been somewhat of a "side interest" to me ... I've often thought the world would be a much happier place if we concentrated more on low glycemic index foods rather than low fat foods ... and yet glycemic indexes are NEVER printed on food labels. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this?

THanks Colin. Ill try and register to threads and see what happens. Keep nutrition simple - eat it the way Nature provided. Afterall, thats what your body adapted to over 3 million years that we know of.

Nasseem

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by stevewe88 View Post
    Thanks for taking part Nasseem, very interesting interview and a pleasure to get to know you better.
    Steve
    Steve, its a pleasure to be in the company of such nice people.

Nasseem

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Excellent knowledge and so much to share. After seeing the Colloroy beach shot, I now know where that idea came from...sorry, I wasn't copying, merely having a latent memory. Sounds like you are living the good life and it is somethingt we should all aspire to enjoy. Nice to know you.
    Dear Chris,

I hope to get to know you more through CIC.Keep those nice shots coming.

Nasseem

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    Gotta love a man who's crazy about his wife . . . Very interesting intro to a very interesting member! I've admired your pictures, Naseem, and it's good to get a little background on the photographer. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you so much Elise. I love your shots too. I am so pleased to hear someone likes some of my work. It makes it all worthwhile.

Nasseem

Real Name

Dave, Thank you. You have been such help. I will certainly try and contribute. If I cant it wont be from lack of trying.

Regards,

Nasseem

Real Name

Katy,

I read your interview and it seems Ive known you forever. Thank you for your beautiful artistic simple photos and look forward to sharing and learning from you.

Nasseem

Real Name

Thank you Peter. May be I am developing a style of my own, but it needs a few yrs of refinement!!!!
    If you want to talk "diabetes", may be we can do that privately. Send me a PM and I will be only happy to help you out. You might want to look up my book.

Peter, I appreciate your honesty in critisism and I thank you. Looking forward to learning from you. I love your Namibian shots. Keep those shots coming and Ill be learning all the way.

Nasseem

Quote Originally Posted by maloufn View Post
    Katy,

I read your interview and it seems Ive known you forever. Thank you for your beautiful artistic simple photos and look forward to sharing and learning from you.

Nasseem
    Thanks!

I hesitated to say this, last night, but my husband lived in Jerusalem for two years doing graduate work. He has stars in his eyes - he loves the middle east and is, quite frankly, "torn between two countries that he loves", too. Also, as he puts it, he luuuuuuhvs Lebanese cooking!
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 11th February 2011 at 10:55 PM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Hi Naseem,

Great interview. Now, I’m a diabetic - let’s talk. I appreciate your very open informative style and you sound like a man who has his life in order. You said you haven’t worked out your speciality interest yet but I feel you are developing ‘your style’ and you can bring that style to any subject matter – that is your way of expressing yourself and showing you family now an into the future your vision. Keep going.

I do love that shot titled Flight. I hope you have had it printed and hanging on your wall.

Peter,

I have not got around to printing anything yet. I will in due course. That will be the first.

Nasseem