Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Glimpses from India in B/W

Real Name
    Satyendra Paul

Glimpses from India in B/W

Just a couple of candid shots as i walked towards a train station in Northern India.

A group of ragpicker kids run across the winding rail tracks.

A cleaner playfully throws a can of water into the air while washing the platform.
    Last edited by drsatyendrapaul; 8th February 2011 at 05:51 PM.

Re: Glimpses from India in B/W

Superb documentary photographs. Fascinating and beautifully shot

I really look forward to seeing more of your work

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Satyendra

I agree with Steve. Wonderful documentary records.

Real Name
    Martyn

i like the water thrown pic, the other one i am not so sure about, the focus is on the tracks in the foreground but your words are about kids in the distance, in my view they should have been the focus point, nice pictures tho, cheers martyn

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Satyendra and welcome to CiC,

Yes, great documentary shots. I like the idea of the train tracks leading you into the image of the kids running across the tracks. At f16 I would have expected greater clarity but there seems to be a lot of mist, smog or whatever in the background that makes it hard to get a sharper image on the kids. Having said that, I don’t mind the softness in the background.

I have a personal problem with lines that lead me in then out of the frame. The track on the left does just that. If it had stayed within the frame then I would have been drawn right into the background. Mostly you have done this but it is just an issue I have that I am sure others would look past.

Again with #2 the water hits the top of the frame. I am sure you couldn’t ask the lady how high she was going to throw it but maybe a wider field of view in anticipation and then crop later. I know you didn’t have control over this shot but you did with the tracks in #1.

Please keep posting these images as I do enjoy them and it opens up a new world to me.

Real Name
    Satyendra Paul

Thank You Steve. Would like to mention that I was in Warrington last summer visiting a doctor friend who too is an avid photographer.
    And coming from you Donald, this praise is like a coveted reward and that too for my very first post. I must say that that I am very keen to learn from this forum and am ready for all the blood, gore and brutal bashing.
    Thanks Martyn. My bad.
    And yes, Peter, because of the dusty environs of the vicinity, there is lot of smog and haze there. Plus i shot this at 200mm without a tripod. In the second pic, i was kind of trying to get his reflection in the puddle of water also.Thanks a lot.
    Please remember, I am still very RAW (no pun intended) at all this.

Real Name
    Satyendra Paul

Thank You Steve. Would like to mention that I was in Warrington last summer visiting a doctor friend who too is an avid photographer.
    And coming from you Donald, this praise is like a coveted reward and that too for my very first post. I must say that that I am very keen to learn from this forum and am ready for all the blood, gore and brutal bashing.
    Thanks Martyn. My bad.
    And yes, Peter, because of the dusty environs of the vicinity, there is lot of smog and haze there. Plus i shot this at 200mm without a tripod. In the second pic, i was kind of trying to get his reflection in the puddle of water also.Thanks a lot.
    Please remember, I am still very RAW (no pun intended) at all this.

Real Name
    Richard

I really like shot #1. The leading lines of the rails point towards the kids and the atmosphere certainly enhances the distance between the sharp rails and the kids.

The second shot bothers me because I wish that there were some more detail in the person.

Real Name
    Satyendra Paul

Thanks Richard. I did not process the second shot except for cropping it a little i guess. Hope to do better next time. Thnx again.

Real Name
    Satyendra Paul

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by drsatyendrapaul View Post
    Hi Satyendra,

I like this one, great light.

The only thing (that's easy for me to say and probably impossible for you to do) would be that it is a shame the far shore merges with their heads, if the camera could have been elevated some more to get their heads against the water it might have been better. But equally, I may be wrong (it happens).

Cheers,

Real Name
    Satyendra Paul

Thank You Dave.

As for correcting the POV, I would agree with you but since i was in a boat myself and to keep myself steady, didnt dare to stand up, i couldnt put those heads in the right place.

Cheers to you.

I enjoy the way that you captured the motion of the water, and how his shadow and reflection play an important role in the excellent composition of this picture, overall its a pretty cool picture to look at.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by drsatyendrapaul View Post
    As for correcting the POV, I would agree with you but since i was in a boat myself and to keep myself steady, didnt dare to stand up, i couldnt put those heads in the right place.
    I had a feeling there was a very good reason

Real Name
    Satyendra Paul

Thanks Nerdyrocker